How do I relieve my 3 1/2 month old sons dry skin?

My 3 1/2 month old son has EXTREMELY dry and semi-flaky skin. The thing is, he has had baby lotion put on him after his bath/washing up since the day he was born. I've used shea/cocoa butter baby lotion, adult extra dry skin lotion, and regular baby lotion (all brand named lotions). I bathe him with baby bath soap (brand name). I don't think its the laundry soap or softner because it has started about 1-2 months ago. His face is perfectly smooth, but the rest of his body is dry. I know some of it can be the summer heat. Does anyone have any suggestions to soothe his dry, flaky skin? (The reason I mentioned his lotion & bath products being brand name is to eliminate any response regarding not so quality brand products. Yes, I use generic brand products sometimes.) Thank you.

mzswirlgirl

Asked by mzswirlgirl at 7:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you can use aveeno lotion or any baby eczama lotion and dont let him soak in the bath for too long
    vampire2007

Answer by vampire2007 at 8:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ecazama lotion and try not to bathe him everyday. Every two days should be enough.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Brand name stuff is great for quality, but those products have a lot of scents, etc, that can irritate sensitive skin. Babies don't always show allergies or irritations until about this age, so while the products may have been fine in the beginning he could be sensitive to them now. So don't think I am crazy when I suggest Vaseline or even just plain olive oil. Or the Aveeno sensitive skin lotions you can get in unscented, but even those were hard on my DD's skin until she was almost a year old. I would bathe her daily but I rarely used soap, maybe once a week, otherwise I just washed her with the warm water- at this age they don't really get that dirty anyway. Then I would put Vaseline on her body right after bath. It's greasy and messy so the towel and pj's can get a little stained but it really helped her skin retain moisture. Skin is usually drier in winter, too, so I hope you find something to help your little one.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 10:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Try using a dry skin cream, not lotion. It is thicker and cleared up my second sons dry skin quickly. I used Eucerin, it is unscented and it worked great!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• aquaphor or eucerin. i like aquaphor better, its like a very thick vaseline. eucerin is a cream
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 11:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Use Cetaphil(works great for baby acne too) or Euceerin baby wash and then use Eucerin lotion
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• eucrien plus wors WONDERS for us!!
    rileymommy

Answer by rileymommy at 8:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010