I am a new mom and trying to breastfeed, my son is 2 months and underweight so have been supplementing breast milk with formula. I feel he gets more to eat when i pump and feed breast milk to him from a bottle. Is that a bad think?

annak32981

Asked by annak32981 at 7:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Nope. Good for you for being able to pump. Not everyone can BF. At least you know exactly how much he is getting!
    Misteh

Answer by Misteh at 7:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's not bad to think that, but, supplementing could cause your supply to diminish and pumping normally doesn't work as well as the baby himself. Were you feeding on demand and was your son wetting at least 6 diapers a day before the pumping and supplementing? Also, breastfed babies are supposed to be smaller than formula fed ones and should be measured on a different chart.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you're supplimenting with formula, that can make your supply decrease, and you don't want that. Get him to nurse as MUCH as possible. Breastfed babies are generally smaller than formula fed babies. As long as your baby is having 6 to 8 wet/dirty diapers per day, and is hitting milestones, he's fine.
    rockinmomto2

Answer by rockinmomto2 at 8:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Its ok to try formula but the best is having your child pump for you...even if it dont seem like a lot is coming out your baby is still getting enough milk he needs...
    ShortCakesMommy

Answer by ShortCakesMommy at 8:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Define "underweight". What was his lowest weight and what's his current weight? How long have you been supplementing and how much?

He doesn't get more when you pump unless he's got a milk transfer issue. Babies are more effective than pumps,
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 8:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The important thing is, is that he's getting breastmilk. Whether it's from a bottle or from the breast it doesn't matter. If you get more when you pump then pump those babies!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:38 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Pumping, for me, was always alarming because I could never get very much out. With my first baby, I thought if I was only pumping out 2oz, that that was all my baby was getting when I was feeding her at the breast. That is WRONG. The baby gets the milk out much more effectively and sometimes it takes a long time, swiching from one to the other, for a complete feeding. Everytime you give formula, your supply will go down some. Have you checked with the Le Leche League or the lactation specialist at your hospital? Either way, no matter how you feed your baby, he will be fine! Good luck!
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You want your supply to match his demand. If you think you have low supply, have him nurse more. It is totally normal for a breast fed baby to want to eat every hour, especially if they are under sized or having a growth spurt. Wanting to nurse more often does not mean the baby isn't getting anything. Breast milk digests much faster than formula, so BFed babies eat more often.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Need to know weights. Doctors often want TOO MUCH gain. Normal gain is four to six ounces per week; as little as one pound a month.

Supplementing won't help your supply, and typically supplementing moms become full time formula feeding moms. Up to you on whether that's what you want.

If you want more help, drop by the Breastfeeding Moms Group.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010