Has anyone given their baby Karo Syrup

to help relieve them of constipation? Mom little girl is 6 months old, and I have fed her prunes and green beans, 4 oz of straight applejuice a day and she's mostly breastfed except when she gets cereal or baby food. She is so constipated she actually cries while she strains to poop. My mom told me to give her Karo syrup. Whatcha think?

myboogiewoogie

Asked by myboogiewoogie at 5:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OOO, that stuff is pure sugar - not good - it is an old ingredient moms used to use to make formula with - yuck! Not healthy mama!

Here is a link that is FABULOUS and here is some of what it says - http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/constip.htm

Introduction of solid food(s) - breastfed babies may tend to be more prone to constipation when solid foods are introduced. This is because their tiny tummies are used to processing the easily and highly digestible mother's milk.

A change in diet usually relieves a baby with constipation. The following tips may also help the constipated baby get things "moving"!

Tummy Massage - Gently massage and rub baby's tummy in a clockwise direction. Place your hands at baby's navel and massage in a circular motion, moving your hand(s) out and away from the center of baby's belly.

Warm Bath, Bicycle Legs...
    ashwinsmommy

Answer by ashwinsmommy at 6:29 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• they actually have baby suppositories, just watch out, I've heard they work quickly, so have them over the tub or something
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 5:19 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I gave my daughter karo sryup when she was younger, that was awhile ago so I really can't remember if it worked well. With my son he was going on 4 days without a poopie and very fussy so I bought him fleet enema's...there very easy to do and he was pooping within 10 minutes!! We only had to do it once when he was young (probably around 5-6 months old)...if you get desperate you can buy those at the grocery store. Good luck :)
    ELC

Answer by ELC at 5:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I give it to my son 2x a day. He has reflux and we have to thicken his formula with rice and it makes him very constipated. The kayro helps. He gets 1 1/2 tbs in 6oz of formula. The Dr said that it draws water into the bowel to help them go.
    nicholeml

Answer by nicholeml at 6:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Molasses actually will work better for constipation. I had to use it on both of my kids. I just put it in each bottle and shook it up really well. It doesn't take a whole lot, maybe 1/2" in the bottom of the bottle. After you've used it for a while and they become more regular, you can cut it back to maybe like a bottle or two a day. Worked every time for my kids!
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I did with my older kids, but my pedi said brown sugar water is actually better. It worked well to relieve my little ones constipation.
    Anonymous

• Karo syrup can kill children just like honey it can cause botulism and theres no cure for it, just death. Why risk it?
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/karo-syrup-for-constipation/AN01826
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 6:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2008