Whats the right age to start your child on potty training?

My daughter is 1 and seems to like the idea of using the potty like everyone else...i dont know if i should start her or just introduce her to it.

ShortCakesMommy

Asked by ShortCakesMommy at 8:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• When the kid has exhibited all the readiness signs.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• With all 4 of mine, I set the potty chair in the bathroom the minute they started walking. I started taking them to the bathroom with me so they could sit on the potty when I did. My girls were potty trained by the age of 18 months. My twin boys took a little longer. They were pee trained (standing up) by 2 1/2 & #2 trained came a bit later.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 8:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I think it is still a little to soon for potty training. You can intrduce her to it, and even sit her on the potty, but you should not exprct her to be trained any time real soon.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 8:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thankz everyone i will be introducing her to the potty...i think i can have her sit in the restroom when i am in their.
    ShortCakesMommy

Comment by ShortCakesMommy (original poster) at 8:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• mine is 15 months and we are potty training. she has been wanting to for a month
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 8:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son was 2.5 and it took 4 days. He was trained day and night and no more diapers and never a pull-up. This is why I wait. I don't want to drag it out for months. Unless I was doing EC from birth.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:43 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Children don't even have the ability to control their sphincters until sometime between 18months and 2 yrs. The spinal cord is not completed until that time, so it's actually not physically possible for them to have full control before that time, people who say their kids were completely potty trained say by 12 months were lying or they were actually the ones that were trained by just potty-ing their kids every couple hours or something like that. I learned that last semester in my pediatrics class and thought it was very interesting. I would just put it out and introduce her to it. My son pee trained at 18 months but still had accidents once in a while, and wasn't night trained till about 2yrs. I also brought the potty out about 12months and he played with it, and I just let him. Then I did the no pants training method with the potty in the living room. It worked for him.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 9:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Babies are born with some measure of control to relase their sphincter muscles. What they do NOT have is the ability to HOLD it for long periods...this develops over time. MY 11 month old has been taken to the potty since birth. She has both understanding, conscious release ability, and has developed over time limited "holding" ability. She hasn't worn a diaper since she was 9 months old. We do have accidents but perfection isn't expected. the usa pottys very late, other countries are done by age 2, not starting.

OP what you want to look into is Elimination communication is what you should look up, not modern toilet training. diaper free part 1 diaper free part 2

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010