My 5 year old son is constantly sad

We hang out all the time, we go to soccer together, we read, all kinds of things but when he is confronted in anyway for any reason he shuts down and gets weepy or just hangs his head and says "never mind" i hate seeing him like this but i don't know how to fix it. He does it alot when he knows he did something wrong but also times like when i have to go to work. When i ask whats wrong he says he doesn't know any ideas ?

OOGIEBOOGIE02

Asked by OOGIEBOOGIE02 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• If this is new, I would think it's separation anxiety triggered by his adjusting to some change. Maybe like going to school or something added to the routine. Maybe he just doesn't have the words to express it yet. If it is ongoing you might want to talk to your school counselor to get some ideas.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 10:04 AM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Not being unsympathetic at all I swear, but is it possible that he is trying to get more attention? If it's not that, it sounds like you're trying to talk to him about it. Just keep up the communication. I'm sorry it's not much, good luck with your little guy
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 5:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• He sounds alot like my son. He is also 5 years old. It's a phase he is going though. What I did was I gave my son little things to do for me around the house it built up his confidence.
    rosie823

Answer by rosie823 at 5:41 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• As a mom of a six year old little boy, I would say that if my son ever hung his head like that, I would sit right down next to him, put my arms around him and say that "I am your mommy, I am here to help you, and we are not leaving this spot until you tell me what I can do to help you". I would let him know in no uncertain terms that I love him and always have time to listen to him.
    JoSpurl

Answer by JoSpurl at 12:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Think about what has changed in his life. Sometimes changes trigger different reasctions from dfferent children.
    Angela06

Answer by Angela06 at 8:16 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• buy a new kids movie, like a funny one or rent one
    Anonymous

• These are all great answers ! I never even thought of the seporation anxiety idea, he just started kindergARTEN. THANK YOU to everyone !
    OOGIEBOOGIE02

Answer by OOGIEBOOGIE02 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 15, 2008