Can teens use Mirena?

I know this is a long ways away for me to even be concerned with, but I was having this conversation with my husband about our daughters being on birth control for when the time comes and I wondered if teenagers can use mirena.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 8:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't think it's recommended unless you've already had at least one child. Have you ever heard of Nueva ring?
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 8:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yeah. Can teenagers use that?
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Docs prefer to use them in women who have given birth because you will otherwise need to be dilated to have it put in. My doc didn't want to put one in me because I had only had C-Sections and had never dilated beyond 2 cm....he had to dilate me to 8 to get it in, which is pretty painful as you know :) I would think the side effects alone would scare me away for my daughter. When I had mine, my hair fell out, I got some serious acne, had sore breasts for months on end. Everything that I experienced with it was awful....but I guess that's unique to me alone.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Yes, I believe that teens can use Nueva ring. All it is is contraceptive in a ring inserted into the vagina. It's basically like the pill only more convenient. Mirena is actually an office visit where the doctor moves your cervix to insert it. (I have mirena and I have had the nueva ring before.)
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 8:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, you have to have already had a child and I think there is a certain age too.
    AshleyBDG

Answer by AshleyBDG at 8:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• They have to have a child and a stable relationship to have Mirena. I wouldn't get it there are too many risks, I hope you investigate that before giving your child artificial hormones that could cause her to be infertile.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 8:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Which do you like better Lil? Because I'm thinking about getting on b.c. Right now my husband and I are using condoms but we both hate it cause he doesn't last as long, and I hate the pill.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 8:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I really like Mirena mainly because I never have to think about birth control and I rarely get my period (of course the whole period thing varies, but most have lighter periods). But, I also have no plans on having any more children anytime soon and it lasts for 5 yrs. I do like Neuva ring as well because you only have to worry about it once a month instead of worrying about taking a pill at the same time every day.

My suggestion is that if you do not have plans to have more children with in the next 5 yrs get Mirena. If you are planning within those next 5 yrs to have children, get the neuva ring.

Oh and also my insurance covered Mirena totally (well $25 office visit fee) which also means no monthly pharmacy bill as well.
    LilLegs

Answer by LilLegs at 9:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have had both nueva ring AND I currently have the Mirena. I want to get the copper IUD because I'm tired of hormones.
    Blubuni99

Answer by Blubuni99 at 9:01 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• 1. I think they say you need to have had atleaste 1 child before considering Mirena.
    2. Id never think about giving Mirena or the Depo shot to my DD... EVER!... Those things come with alot of risk! Its just not worth it at all! Mirena can cause scar tissue so she could NEVER get pregnant ..
    But like i said, I dont think a dr. would give Mirena to someone without atleast 1 child... Must less a minor..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 9:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010