a question for RN's

Ive finally decided im going back to school to get my RN, so im wondering what an average day is like for you RN's, honestly!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Money & Work

• Physically exhausting, mentally and emotionally draining..... but rewarding.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 8:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It depends on where you work. When you first graduate it is highly likely you will be in patient care. As the PP said it is rewarding but it is physically, mentally and some days emotionally exhaudting. After time and experience come into play you may have the opportunity to move into a more administrative roll like Assistant director od Nurseing, Director of Nursing, Nurse Manager, Case Managers. While those jobs aren't as physically tiring the stress and mental load can be a heavy burden. It is good enough right now to know you want to be a nurse, but ultimately it is up to you to decide what KIND of nursing you want to do. Some people think any nurse can do any nursing job. Not so. Both of my sisters are nurses as well. One works neonatal ICU. I can not do it. I lost my middle son 17 days after birth. My youngest was in NICU for 2 weeks..I just can't do it. Cont'd
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My other sister does fragile pediatric home health. She takes care of one patient from the time they come home..until they die. Her cases last for years on end and she literally is considered a family member. It is difficult when her patient passes. I never get so close I let that line be crossed. I have worked many units. Vent/trach, Med-Surg, Hospice, Oncology and as a circulating wound care nurse. Of all these thing..the one I love the most is wound care. My sisters gag..lol. I love to see the progressiopn of a wound healing. I also spent 8 years working inpatient hospice and I loved that too. You actually help not just the patient.but the entire family transition. Mostly, you have to find YOUR niche.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010