How do you talk to a 5-year-old about death? (pet died)

I know it may sound silly but I don't know how to tell her her dog died today. He was 14 years old so he's been around her whole life and I know it's just a dog we're talking about but he was a part of our family..

mygirlpaige

Asked by mygirlpaige at 9:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Death is never silly. No matter if it is a human or a pet. Your dog meant something to your family and her; it was family. It is important that you tell her the truth. Let her know that the dog was old, and he was taken to Heaven. (If you believe in Heaven and God; some people don't.) Tell her that he will not be coming back, and make sure that you have some pictures around for her to remember him. I'm not sure if she will understand. My mom passed away last month and my 6 year old understands that she will not be coming back, but she is in a better place. My 4 year old still thinks that she is still in the hospital and he can not see her. Be patient with her as her emotions may come and go, and just remind her how much everyone loved your dog and that no one will take it's place.

krissyvelazquez

Answer by krissyvelazquez at 9:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Tell her the truth... We had to with our son. (sadly it wasn't a dog we had to talk about at first. My father in law had cancer for three years, so since my son was 2 we talked to him about his Papa leaving us. =( In the end he handled it better then any of the rest of us did.) Be every honest.... they understand more then we give them credit for...

Sorry for your loss. We lost two dogs over the past two years both were very old & very sickly..... Its not easier..... **Hugs**
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 9:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The ladies above me done a very good job in helping. I'll add this information as well.

How to Handle the Death of a Pet With a 4 Year Old

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Thank you all ladies.:)
    mygirlpaige

Comment by mygirlpaige (original poster) at 9:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• i wish you luck with thi. my sons grand father my father passed away and i told him and he is 4 it kept asking me why
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Besides what all the PP said look up The Rainbow Bridge it's helped me explain things to my DS sorry about the loss of your pet.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010