How did you ween your 22 month old off the bottle?

I was looking for some advice for my son. He is 22 months old, the only time he ever touch's a bottle is at night. Now for his age I think thats really great,. he drinks juice and water through out the day and drinks milk with his breakfast and bedtime. I am trying to get him off the bottle at night when he goes to sleep. When he falls asleep, I put the bottle in the fridge but he'll wake up maybe twice a night for it again so im up alot lol. He doesn't take binky's which i won't complain about and he does not suck him thumb.

My goal is to get him to be less dependent on the bottle. I feel like he thinks of it as his security. I am open to many suggestions! Thanks to anyone and everyone.

xxxTrishy518xxx

Asked by xxxTrishy518xxx at 9:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you figure it out,let me know. My son is 24 months, he turned 2 at the beginning of August. A few nights ago we gave him a Nube cup, with the nipple like top with his milk in for bed and it was a horrible time. He too drinks out of any cup during the day but at nap and bed has gotten 4 oz of milk for a long time now. On the 3rd night his tantrum was 25 min compared to and hour and a half the first night. My hubby was home the first 2 nights so helped, but the third nite it was all me. He banged his head off the wall and bed and wouldn't lay still until that 25 min mark then fell asleep exhausted. Then 2 hrs later up again and I put him in bed with me. Well he literally tossed himself out of my bed. So I gave him 4oz of water. This is night 4 and he has 3 oz of water. My hubby isn't going to be happy but I just couldn't do it. I am hoping as the water decreases and time passes he will be done with it on his own.....
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• ....when he is in my bed which happens maybe a couple times a week, he sucks it like a pacifier until he is relaxed and falls asleep. I know it's a soothing thing for him. I was just at a loss a couple nights ago. I have a 10 month old too and I learned not to snuggle him to sleep. He drinks his bottle and he is layed down awake. So I hope this isn't the same problem with him. We put our oldest to bed with his bottle at 11 months when he could hold it, not a wise thing to do!!!! But good luck. Some people on here have gone until the age of 3 and then their child just decided it was time to be done. I am hoping that is us. I too sucked on a bottle for a LONG time my parents said. Sometimes it's just a personality thing I think.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My son was the same way with those nuby cups. What I finally did was decrease the amount of milk in his cup little by little every night. By the time it got to where it was only a sip or 2 in there he didn't want it anymore. It was a pain, but it worked. =)
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 9:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We got rid of the bottle starting at 6 months. My DS was breastfed so he only got bottles when I was not available and then when we introduced juice it was in a cup. We then replaced one meal a week with a cup until there were no more bottles. At almost 2, you should just take it away. He might cry a little, but it will pass. There is no need for a bottle at that age! You could try bringing him to a friend's house that has a younger child and have him "give" the bottles to the baby as a gift because he is a big boy and doesn't need them anymore.
    StructuredChaos

Answer by StructuredChaos at 9:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My pedi and dentist told me they wanted it gone at 12 months. He was 12 months 2 days when i took it completely. I just took it away. I didnt really wean. He was good at using a cup and never even missed the bottle.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 9:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Just take it away. Prolonged bottle use like this is a huge factor in rotting childrens teeth.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I took bottles away at 12 months. I am really glad I did. They (twins) sleep through the night every night. You'll just have to go cold turkey. Maybe give him a cup of water. A kid that age should be sleeping through the night.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:56 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You need to explain to him big boys don't use bottles anymore and show him how some toddlers his age don't use a bottle. Slowly take the bottle away by decreasing it to one meal a day and use sippy cups. Praise him when he drinks from a sippy cup during meals.
    soccerfanatic13

Answer by soccerfanatic13 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I quit buying replacement bottles and when Pumpkin threww her last bottle out teh car window I told her that was it no more bottles
    mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 6:08 AM on Sep. 2, 2010