Do you ever feel like a horrible parent?

Like maybe you shouldn't have had kids because you just can't seem to do the best for them that they should be getting. First we didn't have enough food, and now we are facing eviction. Neither of use have been able to find a job. No one is returning our calls. Not that it matters because our phone is going to be off soon. I just feel like I am living up to every one in my past's expectations for me to fail.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes, but my reasons aren't as extreme as yours are. You're not a bad parent. Sometimes life just hands you a bad hand and you can't help it. I know we've gone through some tough times where we thought we wouldn't have enough money to buy food and diapers. We've had to bounce checks a few times just to get by. Being a good parent has nothing to do with the things you give your children, it's about the love you show them and the morals you instill in them. Your kids know you're trying your best. Just keep your chin up. It always gets worse before it gets better and I know that sucks! And don't be afraid to ask for help from anyone or certain organizations. If you don't have enough money, can you go to food banks? Or apply for WIC? Good luck sweetie and I hope it all gets better for you and your family!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:32 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• I don't know where you live or what programs are out there for you, but do know this.....I would be in the HUD/Section 8 office tomorrow morning getting housing, even if it is temporary emergency housing. Get to the welfare office for food stamps, health insurance, what ever other assistance you are eligable for, if you haven't done this yet. Is there a Career Link type place where you live that could help with the job hunt? It's tough right now, we went through a rough spot, not as rough as yours, but had to go to a food bank on a military base on a couple ocassions. It sucks but at least we could eat. Look into all of this, hope it helps you out. The welfare office can point you in many directions of what's out there, that is their job.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Im sorry. =( that things are looking down for you. But remember if your doing the best you can, then nothing more can happend. also Im a strong believer everything happends for a reason.

so keep at it & you'll find something soon. Never loose Hope.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 9:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• hugging   Just put in your hope and faith and things will surely get better!!!  Do you have any family and friends who can help you through this rough time??  And dont forget about programs like WIC and such to keep plenty of food on the table!!!

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• yes, but i guess mine aren't as extreme as yours. sorry you are having a tough time. but behind every storm cloud is the sun waiting to reappear. hope things look up for you.
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 9:26 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Honestly? Being on this site tends to make me feel like an awesome parent!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:30 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• oh, Im sorry, that sucks to feel that way. I have been a single parent for 7 yrs and I have felt just like you at times. I want you to remember that this is just life in progress. We lived in a one bedrm appt for two years after my divorce, and yes, we lost the house. Ironically, for me, its gone full circle through the years. Im trying so hard to keep things together for us, and my kids are the ones that keep me going. Things happen in life, there are floods and fires and people loose stuff, houses, marriages. But as long as you have each other, you will find the strength to go on. I believe its a mothers instinct and her strength that keeps her moving forward, when everything seems to be falling apart around her. Ive even been to the food bank with my kids. When we where moving and I rented a storage unit I just sat down and cried, I was so tired. My kids sat on either side of me and hugged me. Find your strength in family
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OMG...yes, baby #3 was 3 years old and had a period of her life where she would not get out of the car. Open the car seat and she started screaming and grabbing on to anything. One day, I left her in the car for last...bad mommy leaving child in car by herself. That is not the worst of it. I have her on my hip, she is kicking and screaming, I turn to close the door, she wiggled the wrong way and boom, she landed on the floor...bad mommy. That is still not the worst, she told everyone, "Mommy got mad at me and threw me on the floor". Boy, I felt very little and a very terrible parent.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 9:33 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I always thought io was a bad mother. I look back and wonder how me kids grew up to be the people they are today. I realized that the things I went through helped them. What we go through will makes us stronger. I will keep you in my prayers and I hope you can underrstand that all you can do is your best and keep your head up.
    dragonlady44

Answer by dragonlady44 at 9:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Never. Even when my ex & I split up & I had no money, no car, no job, no home, literally NOTHING to my name, I NEVER felt like a bad mom. Yes, things were bleak.. very bleak but I worked hard to try to turn those things around. It took a lot of work, & a LOT of disappointments, but at the end of the day, I knew that I loved my DD & that I would stop at NOTHING to make sure that she was taken care of. I really hope things turn around for you guys. Good luck.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 10:19 PM on Aug. 31, 2010