Is it safe to use nicotine patch to quite smoking while bfing

Is it more consentrated than actual smoking. I cant find any info. I really really really want to quite but dont think I can do it without. I have three small kids one with ADHD and will lose my mind or just not be succesful.
I have tryed a million times without and also have tryed natural alternatives. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hmmmm, that's a toughie! I would call a lactation consultant or your local La Leche League Leader. the website is www.llli.org, they have alot of info on that site. I do believe that it is more concentrated than smoking, but I'm not sure. If you really must, then I would put it on right after I had fed him, so the smallest amount will come through your milk, but I think you should your doctor first before trying anything. And this comes from an ex-smoker, you CAN do it, it's hard, but possible!
    Harrisonsmommie

Answer by Harrisonsmommie at 5:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• From what I can find yes it safe, safe than smoking if you can use lower dose patches and then stop eventually, this way theres also no smoke on your clothes or your hair either.
    http://www.accessmylibrary.com/coms2/summary_0286-20872703_ITM
    http://jhl.sagepub.com/cgi/pdf_extract/14/2/161
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:05 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I went through the same thing as you and NO the patch is not ok while you're preggers or breastfeeding. the patch gives you a constant stream of nicotine and that is what is passed through the breat milk and placenta. I was told by my doctor and ped that if I had to use nicotine replacements that I should use things like that gum or lozenges and to try not to use them for at least an hour before breastfeeding.
    BabyBreyen

Answer by BabyBreyen at 7:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• did you smoke while pregnant? why start again?

I wouldnt use patch and would quit smoking..the thought of your kid getting it through breastmilk should be enough to dissuade you
    Anonymous

• Thankx everyone;
    One of my biggest issues is my when I ask my SO if he will support me he tells me no you dont need support. He doesnt understand b/c hes never done it. I am as careful as I can be with the smoke. I only smoke outside with a thick coat on so its not so much in my clothes. I also wash my hands. I know alot of trouble right. I have reduced to about 5 a day but cant seem to get lower by myself. I think I will try the gum.
    Anonymous