What do I expect after breaking my knuckle in my foot with a toddler? Please read and advise.

So, being the clumsy one I am, I fell today and broke the knuckle(or joint) that connects my toe to my foot in half. I currently is out of the joint and turned sideways. I went to the er and they just bound it with tape, a moon shoe and crutches and told me to see my pcm and get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon. No instructions for limits of activity and for how long or if it required surgery or not. Hell, they didn't even tell me where the break was until I asked them 3 times! My husband is currently deployed, I have a 1 1/2 year old son, in a new state and no one I know. Has anyone experienced a break like this and if they required surgery? How did you deal or cope with this injury and take care of a very active toddler? Any advise or stories would be so helpful. Thanks

britkeller85

Asked by britkeller85 at 9:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• I got nothin for ya mama, but hugs and sympathy! :o) Is there a mom's group in town that you can join and ask for help? Is there a church nearby? Hang in there!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 9:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well my husband broke his toe. He just had to tape it for month or two. I don't remember but he had to wear socks and have it taped. So no sandels unless you wear socks with them Trust me if you do too much your foot will hurt so take it easy and if it starts throbbing put it up.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I broke my big toe last December (it sounds very similar to what you did) and all I did was tape and tennis shoes. The Dr. told me that surgery was an option, but wasn't really worth the hassle and probably wouldn't make much of a difference in the long run. The first few days were the most painful, but I got by with a minimal amount of painkillers, after day 3 I just used Ibuprofen. My kids were 7 and 4 (a little more self-sufficient), so I didn't have any problems. You should be ok, hop on one foot if it starts to get too painful. Like I said, after the first few days it wasn't too bad, just a dull ache. My toe healed sort of fine, I broke it right across the knuckle and the knuckle ended up fusing when it grew together. No big deal, though. I hope you start to feel better soon. Oh yeah, elevating my foot helped with the pain, too, not sure why.
    CaLizzyMom

Answer by CaLizzyMom at 10:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010