I love my daughter, but lately I don't LIKE her! Is there something wrong with me?

My daughter is two years old (26 months), and lately she is getting to be annoying. What I mean is, she says "no" to everything. She gets fiesty: hitting, scratching (and laughing about it). She is so picky about what she eats that I've given up for a time. If she'll only eat waffles, whole wheat bread with pb, goldfish crackers, peas and grape tomatoes, then so be it.

Going on outings is a nightmare, because she won't sit in the stroller or shopping carts. It makes what used to be an enjoyable activity VERY unenjoyable. I'm a single mom so my dd has to go on all my errands.

I tell her to do something, and I might as well be talking to myself. I try not to get visibly upset or frustrated, but I can't help it sometimes.

Lately, I've been looking forward to her going to bed, and it disturbs me. Thinking about tomorrow morning makes me feel ill.

What's wrong with me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is nothing wrong with you hun!
    You are a stressed out single mom with a lot on her hands.
    This is the terrible twos and it should pass soon.

My son is only 7 months, but I get exactly the same feelings you do sometimes.
    Sometime I have to put him in a safe place and go cook something.

I would suggest finding a babysitter or family that can help so you can destress.
    Stress is harmful to you, your sanity, and to your child. She knows when you're upset and it sounds to me like she's feeding off your distress.
    hazelnutx

Answer by hazelnutx at 9:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nothing is wrong with you. Nothing is wrong with her. It's normal behavior for her....testing boundaries, expressing herself the only way she knows how, etc etc etc. Just hang in there. In a couple years she will be on to the WHY phase. Just get through your day as best as you can!!!
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I've had some rough times with my son as well lately. I just keep trying to think positive and work on making some changes. Do you get a break? Maybe you should line up a sitter for a relaxing night out to relieve some stress- good luck!!!

skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 9:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nothing is wrong with you. Kids can be obnoxious and hard to deal with. You'll always love them but of course there will be stages where you don't like them all that much. I'm going through that stage with my 13 yr old. He's just gotten really strange...
    Anyways, just remember not to let yourself get too frustrated with her. Put her in her room, walk away, get a breather. She'll start to grow into a little person that you'll like again soon enough.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 9:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have a very compliant 2+-year-old and I still look forward to her going to bed! Hehe. I think you can train your girl to be a person you will like though. 2 is a tough age. Look into some books about discipline. I am reading a few and have found all 3 to have amazing things to say:

"To Train Up a Child" - practical ways for everyday situations, also a very short read
    "Growing Kids God's Way" - instilling moral values in your children (not finished with it yet though)
    "Temper Your Child's Tantrums" - haven't finished this one yet. haha. It's really short though.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 9:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You have to train her to be the person you will enjoy being with. It won't just happen by itself. Two is about the age when children begin to understand the power they have, and your child is really into using hers. Unless you teach her that you are the authority figure and that she must do what you say when you say, your life is going to be pretty miserable. Doing it without a daddy to help has to be horrible. My husband was great with all the children and parenting was still hard. Another good book you might want to look at is SHEPHERDING THE HEART OF A CHILD by Dr. Tedd Tripp. It's fantastic!!
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 10:03 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• nothing is wrong with you, nothing is wrong with her. sounds like the normal terrible two stage. i cant wait until my kids go to bed at night too! lol
    3xangel

Answer by 3xangel at 10:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Nothing is wrong with you....You have entered the "Terrible Two's".
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Nothings wrong with you! But you need a break badly! So find a babysitter and go chill for an hour or two.
    I would definately decide on whos going to be boss though...... teenager is not that far away.........................
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:28 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Ha! You basically just described my daughter! She's 24 months. I don't think anything's wrong with you. I think this is normal. I feel the exact same way sometimes. Sounds like you just need some breathing room and a day to yourself. Your daughter may need a break from you too. That may be why she's so stubborn towards you. I know my daughter gets tired of me sometimes. lol. That's why this is called the terrible two's. Oh man I HATE it!
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:28 PM on Sep. 2, 2010