Breast Pumping

I had my baby on Sunday and breastfeed for awhile but my nipples got to sore so I have decided to pump my milk so how often should I pump? and for how long? how long can I store the breast milk for I have looked up different web sites and everything says different things.

babycakeschris

Asked by babycakeschris at 9:53 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Have you tried nipple shields? They worked great for me with the sore breasts, problems latching on, etc. But pump every time the baby feeds, so at this point every few hours. good luck, beent here done taht.
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:55 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I didn't get to breastfeed.... But, my best friend I've very very close with told me she pumped about every 2 hours...... I wanna try and breast feed with baby 2 so she was giving me ideas what to do.... good luck!
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 9:58 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I would encourage you to continue to nurse, not pump -- the soreness doesn't last long. As long as baby is latching on properly (a lactation consultant can confirm this) the more often you nurse, the faster your nipples get used to constantly being abused LOL
    For me, I had horrid soreness the first two weeks... especially during letdown, it burned! Just grit your teeth and put lanolin on right after each feeding.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:59 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I second the nipple shields...did a LC help you out at the hospital? if you are sore then the latch may not be correct. do you have a medela breast pump? that's the kind I had and it came with a handy little book that had all of the info in it about pumping and storing milk and how to prepare it properly. I really liked that book...i copied some pages out of it for the daycare and they found it real informative too. I bet the medela website has that info...let me check
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• OK...pumping and bottle feeding is hard work. You need to pump 8 to 12 times of day. To keep up a supply, I suggest pump every time your breast are full. You need a rental pump or near hospital grade pump and double pump, you will get more milk that way. Pump 15 minutes both breasts together or 10 minutes on turn pump off for 10 minutes and pump for 10 minutes again. This tricks the body into thinking the baby is cluster feeding. Milk storage: good on counter for 4 hours, fridge for 3 days, fridge freezer 3 months and deep freezer 6 months. These are lower limits of milk storage. If the milk is in frideg for 5 days and still smells good, feed it to the baby. Breast milk that is bad smells bad.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:00 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Pump every couple of hours if you can(do it as often as the baby eats and for about as much as the baby eats. 1-2 oz ever 3 hours is what i can remember when my jason was born

If you can get a bit more go for it. You can freeze breast milk as well as keep it in the fridge. If you can get through the pain of the first week you will be fine to breast feed. Lansinoh is a great product for soar nipples and it will help with the pain if the latch is hard to take. You may also be able to talk to the babies ped and have the help of a lactation expert ( our ped had a great nurse who was a big help) Good luck
    Shelly922731

Answer by Shelly922731 at 10:02 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• couldn't find that info on the medela website...sorry
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 10:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• When my daughter was born, I had to pump because she was in the NICU. I pumped every 2 hours for the first 2 days. Then I pumped every 4 hours. When I started slacking off and sleeping more my milk started to lessen. If you don't keep it up you will dry up early. It was a lot of work, trying to visit her in the NICU, visit home (2 hours away) keep all the milk frozen and I think I slept some too, not sure! Some of it was just a little fuzzy!!!
    GirlsLovePink

Answer by GirlsLovePink at 10:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I feel you mama, but breastfeeding will be much more comfortable than pumping, and much less work, and better for baby, and better for you. Trust me! Hang in there a but longer. You will be glad.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• A lactation consultant was not available the time I was their in the hospital and tomorrow I will be going to W.I.C that way they can help me out he latcehd on really well but I pumping milk tell I go to the W.I.C that way they can help me.
    babycakeschris

Comment by babycakeschris (original poster) at 10:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010