Why do people have children that can not afford them and have to get government assistance?

I had my first son at 19 and never received any government assistance. I worked 2 jobs and put myself thru college. Why do I see so many people having kids and expecting the goverment to pay for it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:42 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in General Parenting

• Please tell me where you get the notion that people DESERVE to have children? I get so tired of hearing that have children is a right - it's not. If you can't afford to but a Corvettte - then don't go buy one, if you can't afford to build a new house - don't build it - if you can't afford a five carat diamond ring - don't buy one. IF YOU CAN'T AFFORD TO HAVE A CHILD - DON"T HAVE ONE! I feel like Medicaid, public assistance is intended for people who fall on hard times - lose jobs, unexpected health problems/medical bills as many people have described here. It is not for people who don't think they have get out and work OR for those who think that they are entitled to a handout just because they MADE A CHOICE to have a child when they could not afford it!!
    liz1974

Answer by liz1974 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• just because you don't have money, doesn't mean you don't deserve to have children. now people that have children and expect the govornment to pay are a different story.
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 5:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Some people accidentally get pregnant and don't believe in abortion or adoption. i got married at 17, i had DD at 18, we were perfectly fine and financially stable-until Katrina.

Now expecting the give to pay for your kids while you do nothing deserves a boot to the head. No one wants to help someone who will not help themselves.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• We got assistance because I was not allowed to work and My husband works as a CNA. We do our best to support our child some people just need alittle help.
    MommyTessier

Answer by MommyTessier at 5:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Some people do have children and have money and then sometimes something bad happens, like they loose there job or a divorce and they have money problems. EVERYONE goes through tough times with money and need a little help, you shouldn't judge them.
    As for me, i would never accept the governments money and never will i be on welfare cause i feel like that would be the lowest point in my life but that's how I feel. and there's nothing wrong with needing a little help.
    mamaxkitty

Answer by mamaxkitty at 5:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• i don't think they understand their options. some people feel like they have no other choice, all gloom and doom. like they don't have enough education to get a good job or no way to pay for school.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 5:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Simply put, some people need help. There is no need to judge, although there are always people who take advantage of the system. I am 20 years old, and will be giving birth to my first child in February. My fiance is unemployed and looking for work, and I am also having a hard time finding a job being 5 months pregnant. I am hoping to receive assistance because right now, we can't even afford our own place. You should be proud of what you were able to accomplish, but don't look down on others who are not able to do the same thing.
    angelita_0209

Answer by angelita_0209 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I never received govt assistance until 2 years ago, for a year. And I could have for a long time. I just waited until I had absolutely no other choice. I didn't keep having children while on assistance, though. I don't think the OP means that people don't deserve it. But why do people on welfare keep having kids? Honestly, I think some people keep having them for a bigger check. IMO, its bull!
    Anonymous

• Humble yourself. Good for you that u did it on your own, but that doesn't mean poor people shouldnt have kids. Some families work hard and give up all the extravagances in life just to pay the bills and keep food on the table, but its not always enough. I hope you can open your eyes and mind to things you've never seen or experienced. and the poor pay taxes too, they're entitled to assistance if they ever needed it.
    Anonymous

• i believe poor people deserve to have a family as well. its selfish to say you must have money to have children also maybe you had extended family to help you not everyone does and if you worked 2 jobs and went to school who raised youre child???
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008