Do you believe that anti-depressants work or simply avoid the problem?

Honestly I don't think they work. My dad has been on them for years and he's still depressed. He's been seeing a counselor too and that hasn't helped much either. I think this country is too dependant on drugs.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• I think a combination of meds and therapy would probably be the most beneficial
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:08 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• And exersice and eating right. And training your mind.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• They work on me! I can definitely tell when I don't take my medicine. I get really agitated and start yelling at people for no apparent reason, and no one really wants to be around me. I have bipolar, and mild depression.
    bethanysmom1007

Answer by bethanysmom1007 at 10:10 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's 50% meds and 50% the individual. If the person isn't opening up in counseling or doing therapeutic activities then no of course meds aren't going to help. It also takes a lot to find the appropriate script/combination for most people as well. GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 10:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You may be right they may not work. Perhaps your father is on the wrong meds for him. I honestly felt the same way you did until my brother committed suicide.
    I now take an antidepressant--for the first time in my life I see it as a change that is going to be with me for the long haul. It has greatly helped my disposition. It has helped my marriage, my relationship with my family. The thing is that it is hard to see how change is. It is hard to get what a difference the right drug can make. When you are down it is hard to see what up looks like.
    So yeah I was on the same page as you. I understand where you are and what your seeing. Things can be better and your father can get better help than he is now. The problem is that some one has to guide him to a better place. Can that be you?
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I am looking into them myself. I am going to try straight counseling 1st, but if after 6mths, it is not helping, then I think a "happy pill" WITH counseling might be the answer for me.

I do know that there are alot of different pills out there. Maybe your Dad is on the wrong one for him or needs a different dosage
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with Glamourina on this one. I think they do work, but they aren't a miracle drug to make everything instantly better. I know from experience that they really help, especially in combination with things like therapy, journaling, diet and exercise improvement, etc.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Medication help you feel better, but meds alone are not enough. A professional to talk with is necessary.
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:23 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Anti depressants increase the "feel good" or "happy" hormones. In this aspect, they work. However, I've been on them and could still be considered depressed. I'm very against these drugs not only because I feel they don't work but because they mess wit the chemical make up of our brains. Lifestyle changes effectively change mood and behavior.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Meds may not be the answer. It all depends on the cause of the depression. Diet has a lot to do with mental health. He may have a sensitivity to some food that is causing his depression. When my son eats anything with wheat, he gets very depressed and wants to kill himself. He was only 8 when we finally got a proper diagnosis.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 10:52 PM on Aug. 31, 2010