How do I get my 5 yr old daughter to wash her hands after going to the bathroom?

I have told her many times that not washing will get her (and everyone around her) sick but she just doesn't seem to care.

Nedrin

Asked by Nedrin at 10:12 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Consistency.

My 2yr old is obsessed with washing her hands
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 10:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Get her accustom to singing a favorite song while she washes....she cant leave the bathroom before she sings and washes... :) Just serves as a helpful reminder to a 5 year old :)

mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Go to Bath and Body Works and buy fun scented foaming antibacterial soaps. That's what I do for my elementary school students. Take her with you and let her pick the soaps! :o) Keep up the barrage of good information too, though - she needs to know how important it is!
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 10:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Be consistent when reminding her. I use to tell the children remember how awful you feel when you're sick? You can't play when you're sick. Worked!
    momx3gx1b

Answer by momx3gx1b at 10:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• SquidSoap by Airborne has a great soap and program just for this purpose.  Check it out here: http://www.squidsoap.com/

specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• fun soap, kandoo has a neon purple one. but for some reason my daughter loves to be clean. a spot on her shirt she says that it's dirty and pulls it off. we go outside barefoot and now her feet are dirty...i think she is OCD! lol
    xtwilightx

Answer by xtwilightx at 10:22 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• jsut keep at it
    regian19832002

Answer by regian19832002 at 1:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Consistency. My son used to do it every single time he went and he just turned 6. Recently I;ve caught him trying to skip it. So I guess some kids try that! But I just ask him did you wash? And if not, he does. Only problem is if he would tell me he did and had not. (I can smell the soap and all) then it'd be a sneaky fibbing problem too ;/
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:33 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You could always try the reward system.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 12:43 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• Yep, just keep at it. Make sure you ask her if her hands are clean when she goes to touch anything, eat anything, or give you a hug. Doing that will help show her how important clean hands are.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:55 PM on Sep. 5, 2010