Need help with my 3 year old and her temper??????

Ok just so everyone knows i love my children more than life! But my little girl is seriously gonna cause me to have a nervous break down before i am 30. I had to take her out of school early today to go to the doctor, well the whole time we were sitting in the waiting room she cried (30 min) i want my ice cream. I told her that if she did not behave we were not going to get any, well she kept crying, screaming and whinning. Then we leave the Dr.s office and she starts again the whole way to cvs your mean, i hate you, and so on, we get to cvs to drop of her perscriptions and i decided to wait, we where there for about 25 min and the only thing she did was scream at me. And i mean litterally scream, to the point some 80 year old man looked at me and said you are a bad mother. I started crying instantly (i did not say anything back b/c i respect the elderly) nothing calmed her down and this is an everyday battle. Please help.

mami_april

Asked by mami_april at 10:14 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Also, she does this at home. constantly. I do not know what more i can do, i take toys, tv, put her in time out, but nothing works for this child. everything is NO, scream, cry, whinning, and tantrums. I am lost and do not know what to do anymore i feel like i have failed as a mother and that old man did not make me feel any better.
    mami_april

Comment by mami_april (original poster) at 10:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Do her teachers at school ever tell you of any problems?

Do you have any other concerns about her...how is her speech?
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Her teachers have not sent anything but good comments home she listens and does what she is suppose to.
    Her speech is a little iffy with me cause she will say something but i can not fully understand her, but she is 90% of the time whinning when she says something. The only concern i have with her is her attitude, other than that she is ok.
    mami_april

Comment by mami_april (original poster) at 10:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• it's hard... my 3 year old is PERFECT for everyone BUT me... and it's not due to a lack of dicipline on my part...if anything i'm harder on her than others...
    we just got home and she REFUSED to get out of the car, she wants to go shopping at 930pm... NO WAY... so she sat in the car (door open mind you) until finally she agreed to come in with her daddie...
    i hate to say it, i've tried different things, but i think it's just that age... ugh.
    asil

Answer by asil at 10:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Ok then from the info that you are giving me :) I would say that she is getting some sort of pay off from you by whining. By that I mean whining gets her something that she is wanting, either attention, a toy or whatever, or just to see your spew your lid...lol

I am a preschool teacher by the way :) If she was doing this at school too I would say that she has some other issue going on, but since you say teachers have good comments then it leads me back to you. sorry :)

I would try to figure out what benefit she is reaping from the whining? Are you giving in to her sometimes, all the time? Does she like to see you mad or frustrated? THEN whatever you think it is....stop it...lol

I wish I could tell you what that thing is, but I dont know your dd :) Hope this helps....at least a bit:)

It does NOT make you a bad mother by the way!!!!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 10:37 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• The only solution I have for whining is to ignore it. Never give in and give what a child wants if they are throwing a fit and whining. Many times if kids have gotten their way from whining just a few times they will persist. You just have to be more persistent.
    And I cannot believe that old man told you that you were a bad mother. What a jerk!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes, I would venture to say you are rewarding her bad behavior...remember, even negative attention IS attention.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:24 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• My daughter is the same, though she doesn't say I'm "mean" or that she "hates" me....but the screaming/crying/tantrums are a daily occurrence. I've gotten to the point I ignore her when she does this. Although, this has only caused her to start screaming at me, "Mommy SAY something". Of course I don't. It's been 3 very long days of a non-stop screaming daughter. Even the little neighbor boy came to my window to ask me if she was okay, that's how loud/consistent her screaming is. o.O
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 7:58 AM on Sep. 6, 2010