what meds wll the dr give to get rid of strep throat? Is there any over the counter meds?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Health

• No, there isn't anything OTC to treat strep. It's someting you really don't want ot mess with. If left untreated, it can lead to some really bad things. Antibiotics really is the best answer. Period.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 10:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You have to have antibiotics and the only way to get them... is by Doc. prescription.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 10:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I was always given antibiotics. every day I got it when I was a teenager.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• That last time that I had strep. I had another cold on top of that. I felt like death warmed over. I was given three types of medicen. One for the strep (antibiotics), one for the vomiting, and one for pain. I was out cold for hours.
    You can buy over the counter throat spray for the pain. It wont get rid of it though. Just help with the pain.
    elly25

Answer by elly25 at 10:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• If you go over the counter. you only hide the symptoms and are therefore still congatious. So if you dont work and can stay home that long and not go out to infect your community, aren't elderly nor an infant (haha) you could TRY not going to the doc.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 10:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• "If untreated, strep throat can sometimes cause complications such as kidney inflammation and rheumatic fever. Rheumatic fever can lead to painful and inflamed joints, a rash and even damage to heart valves". http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/strep-throat/DS00260 

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:39 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• YOu can recover from strep all by your self. I never have, I get to sick. But my whole family got last month and both my girls, 2 and 5 recovered all by themselves.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 11:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010