My DH

Seems to think he is going to be able to prevent our child from getting pregnant by monitoring dd... when he himself had sex in his mothers house with her home his sister home and a friend over. what do you think, if a child is going to or wants to have sex, do you think you can stop them, or is b/c a good place to start (BTW, he says b/c condoms and everything else is encouraging it.)

kbishop8688

Asked by kbishop8688 at 10:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If she's going to do it there is little he can do to stop it. Make sure she is educated and protected... unless you want to be a grandmother. Bottom line is it's her body, her choice... help her make and educated, well thought out one!!

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:31 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well, I don't think that you can really stop your child from having sex. Just educate them on what happens when they have sex and to use protection.

elly25

Answer by elly25 at 10:32 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• u cant stop a teenager from haven sex your average person was an adult when they had sex in there teenage years i believe its better to have the safe sex talk with her then denying it i think shit would get worst if u make it even more taboo and times are different the internet makes it wasy easier to hook up so do cell phone
    cnoble927

Answer by cnoble927 at 10:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I remember my Mother always made me be home at 11:00 after school dance, no partie after the dance etc. come straigtht home. I use to think, do you think I can't get in trouble before the dance, between the time I leave the dance, maybe before I even get to the dance? If a girl or boy want to have sex they will always find a way. All you can do is give them a good sex educationa and hopefully have protection if they do have sex, for more than one reason. But, you can not stop a teen or young adult from finding away to have sex .It's impossible to be with them 24/7 but good luck with your S/O trying.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 10:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well I plan on having condoms available for my boys. Is that encouraging them to be sexually active? I don't think so when it will be combined with our many discussions about responsibility, respect, waiting until they are ready and their partner is ready, the dangers of irresponsible sex. I can talk as much as I want, I can supervise to the nth degree, but a teen who is determined will find a way and I'd rather my kids be prepared than to come home with a disease or a pregnant girlfriend. In the end though I think an open and honest communication is the key. I want my boys to be educated with facts, not misinformation and myths learned from their peers.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:47 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You dont start when they are teenagers by giving them birth control......... You should have started LONG ago... by teaching them morals, respect, self confidence, rules, etc. YES, monitoring is good. But kids need to learn to stand on their own and make good choices. If you waited until NOW then birth control might be your only option. But these are lessons that should have been openly discussed from the very start. I have a 15, 13, and 9... and even the young one knows about our family morals, respect for the family, yourslef, your body, your future.

sahlady

Answer by sahlady at 10:49 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• my dd is almost 3...
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 10:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• You can do everything in your power to prevent a child from having sex to early, becoming a teen parent, etc. The reality of it is though, is that if they want to do something they're going to find a way to do it. Teens have slept over at friend's houses to have sex. They've gone to parites to have sex. They invite a friend over to study and have sex in their room. There is an unlimited amount of places to have sex including parks, cars, movie theaters, etc. If a child is determined to have sex then they're going to find a way. The best that you can do is educate them about EVERYTHING. If you think your child is having sex or planning to then inform them of all ways of preventing pregnancy and STD's. Again, a child will have sex if they're determined to and really there's no way you or your DH are going to stop it.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's people that say they can't prevent it that let it happen. Good job for supporting teen pregnancy and STD's.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:15 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• It's people that say they can't prevent it that let it happen. Good job for supporting teen pregnancy and STDs.

My parents were never not home, and neither were his.. Walks to the creek for me could end up with sexual fun, how old were you when you lost it!? I could sneek ppl into my home.. I could meet someone down the road.. parents sleep at sometime during a 24 hour period.. they work too. Summer vacation when I was 16 yrs old, both parents worked so I had free roam of the house.. how could my parents have prevented it!? Send me away somewhere? like where a babysitters? I had a job too.. oh I had to work late.. or, my shift starts at 3:30 when it really started at 5, my parents didnt get home til 4 and 6.... its not like they could have driven me..
    kbishop8688

Comment by kbishop8688 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Aug. 31, 2010