just wondering....

has anyone told their young ones where meat comes from? this schoolmate was mad at my five year old cuz she told his brother bacon comes from a pig just like pork chops. and hamberger and steak comes from a cow. was i wrong to teach my kids that certain animals were raised for food?

noel1978

Asked by noel1978 at 11:05 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Shoot my 5 yr old asks on a regular basis if we can but a bull and a hog,when you ask him why his reply is " for steak and bacon " lol
    we do have a chicken farm so it may just be a country thing !
    stef1976

Answer by stef1976 at 11:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, it wasn't wrong. I think this is something basic that we teach our Children so that they will know where their food comes from.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• We are strict vegetarians in our family. My on and daughter have never eaten meat. I was honest from day one about where meat comes from to both kids and how choosing not to eat it is healthier and you live longer and my 2 yr old doesn't understand yet but my 5 yr old does and he CHOOSES not to eat it all by himself. He is in agreement with me and dh that its not that good for you and he doesn't want to eat animals. I don't ever think its wrong to be honest with your child.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• no 'it was not wrong at all..its the truth and kids need to learn these things...they are going to eventually find out anyway
    Rebecca.R.

Answer by Rebecca.R. at 11:07 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No, you werent wrong to educate your child. Its good that she already knows & understands this.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 11:09 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• um... no. Why would you NOT tell them? My 4 year old knows where all food comes from.... veggies, apples, meat....

We don't eat pork... so its very important for my kids to know at an early age what all comes from a pig.....so they know what they are not to eat. My oldest has allergies, so of course she has to know that fish is in fact a fish.

This parent is ignorant..... seriously? Its not like telling them where babies come from!
    ratchetlee

Answer by ratchetlee at 11:11 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• My kids range from 3-8.5 and they all know where their meat comes from - they also all know that when we live in the country we'll be raising our own animals for food - and at this point they're okay with it. They all LOVE meat so knowing where it comes from doesn't bother them a lick!
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 11:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• No- you were Not Wrong; that's ridiculous to get Mad at!
    daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 11:41 PM on Aug. 31, 2010