18 yr olds with new found freedom....are they adults?

I wrote the post about dd getting her ears pierced yesterday at a tatoo parlor. I have a question,,,what if,,just if what if, her ears get infected? Guess whos going to have to pay for that? Me, cause she is covered under my insurance. Its interesting cause these kids have all these new found freedoms, all these new ways they can sign there name on the dotted line, but if stuff goes wrong, its the parents who have to pick up the tab. I just find that interesting from some of your responses to my other post. So, they are considered adults to society, but often times have no monitory clout to back it up....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• If my child is 18 and lives with me and I am paying for everything they will have rules that will be followed in my home.
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:28 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I didn't see your other post, but I believe in my house, my rules.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:27 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well if they get infected... you dont HAVE to pay. Who is standing over you making you pay? I am a hypochondriac, and once I turned 18, anytime I wanted to go to a doctor, I payed the co-pay (Luckily I was on my parents insurance). If I didnt wanna pay, I didnt go to the doctor. If you really dont want your daughter doing things w/o your consent, then you have to enfore consequences. Its up to you to give her responsibility...
    Morgs7531642

Answer by Morgs7531642 at 11:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Well at 18 you don't have to let her on your insurance. I mean it's great you do and I would encourage it, but at that point legally it's just you being generous. I know at 18 I had a job and supported myself. Hell, at 17 I supported myself too. I know a lot of older teens who did as well. I think at that age it depends so much on the kind of life they have/had. I have known 18 year olds as immature as 12 year olds or as mature at 30 year olds. In my eyes (unofficially) when you are able to support yourself (or at least not relying on others to survive) and have adult responsibilities you are an adult.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 11:29 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• First off, you do understand that she has MUCH less chance of them becoming infected through piercings done at a tattoo parlor than she does at a "Piercing booth" Right? Second off, I have NEVER seen an infected ear that needed medical attention beyond some rubbing alcohol and removal of the earring...

And there is NO reason that you can't either take her off the insurance or require her to reimburse you should something happen...

But yes, at 18 she IS an adult... I don't understand how ear piercing is a new found freedom, that's a bit odd, but whatever... It's not like she's out there doing something dangerous. That said I also don't understand why so many parents find it necessary to allow their Adult children to live with them either... They are adults and should be treated as such, which means supporting themselves and taking care of themselves...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:46 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Hey Sabrina,,,wow you go girl. My dd is just starting her senior yr of high school. Ear piercing is a new found freedom b/c she doesnt need me to sign for it,,that was my point, she can walk into a tattoo parlor and sign her name and get her ears pierced. I am her mother, I am still in charge since she is under my roof and is still in school. Im so glad to know in your humble opinion that if there are infections associated with ear piercing they are minor, but I would rather consult with a dr if dd's ears do end up appearing infected. Wow,,,level 26 huh,,,we must get super smart at level 26 that we can tell everyone else exactly what we think is the correct answer here,,,thanks for the tips anyway,,:)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• If you agree Bats,,then you didnt even read my question or my response to Sabrina,,,,,,what are we, back in high school and you and she are in some clique... I couldnt have said that better myself!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm with Sabrina 100% on this. Couldn't have said it better myself.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010