Flying with my tot for the first time (OH MY GOD!). Take me from the moment you walk into the airport until the plane takes off?

She is two and a bit fiesty.

We are flying at 7:30pm (1.5 hours total), with a 1 hour layover. The connecting flight leaves at 10pm (5.5 hours total).

She usually goes to bed by 7:30pm.

Can you help me figure out what to do, from the moment we walk into the airport until the moment the plane goes into the sky?

Can you give me any helpful hints and/or suggestions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2010 in Travel

• LMAO! Good luck! We are flying at 9pm on Thursday with 2 kids ages 5 and 7 so I feel your pain. We have taken them on planes a lot though. So, first go to the airline counter of the airline you are flying on and check in. Check your bags if you are checking any. We always check our car seats. Find out what concourse and gate your plane is leaving from. You will probably then go through security on your way to the concourse and gate you are leaving from. We always find out gate first, then go to the bathroom, buy waters and snacks, etc. Then we go wait by the gate. Most airlines board families flying with small children first so listen when they start to board your plane. If they say this, get on at that time because it will be better. If you have a stroller, you can leave it right at the door to the plane. Make sure you have plenty of stuff for you child to do. Mine like to watch tv on the plane.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:40 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I agree with honestey - bring a bag chock full of activities (don't open it until you've been seated and settled) and lots of snacks. Sometimes they fall asleep ....

Remember - you will never see the people on the plane ever again. '0)
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 3:00 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• so we think it's worth it to pay for the tv (you will get headphones), if your airline offers tv. Hopefully she will sleep on the plane! Mine rarely do, they don't want to miss anything! You can message me if you want more info. It's really not all that bad.
    emilex

Answer by emilex at 11:42 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Bring an umbrella stroller and a cover for it. They will gate check it for you so that means you can push your LO all the way to the gate.

First you will go and check in at the right counter, then on to security. At security you will have to load all your bags onto the conveyor and take off your shoes and your baby's shoes. She will have to walk through by herself and you by yourself, no big deal. You will have to put the stroller through on the conveyor too. Put her back in her seat first and then get your shoes and other stuff together. Walk to your gate and wait. that is it. Easy peasy.
    I would totally bring a small portable dvd player and play her favorite movie if she gets fussy. Also have something for her to drink at take off. Carnation instant breakfast is something good to bring because you can mix it with water and she gets a nice drink that will fill her up. Bring her favorite lovey and blanket too.
    Have fun!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:45 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• Go straight to ticketing and check all the bags you have except a backpack for the tot full of stuff to do and snacks, and maybe something for you if she falls asleep. Bring the stroller, check the carseat.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 11:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2010

• I have flown with a 3 year old, 9 month and 6 months pregnant- all by myself it can be done! Just bring activities for her to do and plenty of snacks- hopefully it will be somewhat bumpy that may lull her to sleep- do not do the benadryl trick it totally backfired on me with the toddler... it made her hyper as hell! But one word of advice for you a pedi or massage when you land! :) happy flying!
    honestey

Answer by honestey at 12:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010