Foster mom and pregnant

My SO have temporary custody of his niece's 7 month old twins (so I am a "foster" mom or "step" mom to them) and I'm pregnant with my 2nd daughter. I don't know how to "prepare" the twins for the birth of the new baby (it's looking like we'll have custody of them for at least a year). I saw how my nephew reacted to his little sister (they're 16 months apart), and it was not good at all. Any tips on how to make it "easier" for the twins? (they'll be about a year old when I have my baby).

Tink0711

Asked by Tink0711 at 12:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• some kids take it easier than others. My DS& DD are 16 months apart and we did not have any outrageous jealous moments or anything. I honestly can't think of much that I did to "prepare him" either. Just told him there was a baby in my tummy and it was his little sister. DS handled it all very well.

of course, now I'm getting the sibling rivalry 3 years later LOL
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Mine all did fine with additions of new little ones. We just made sure to let them know that we were going to be adding a new little one to the family. I would let them put their hands on my belly and they after us talking about it for months got the idea. Then when they came we involved them in everything. Whether it was handing over a diaper or something like that it made them feel more important and involved. Our little ones are 17 and 19 months a part, we also bought them dolls and we pretended to take care of them and hold them nicely.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Babies tht young tend to really be interested in other babies. Prepare yourself for having 3 in diapers. The children will be fine.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 12:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Talk to them, not necessarily seriously or one on one, but just say it over and over in an excited tone. An be sure to really make a big deal when the baby is there (not like putting them out of the spot light, but like you would for a special trip or toy). Be sure to spend a lot of time with them too and let them "help" with the baby. Remember that they're going to be testing your boundaries, especially with the new baby, and you're going to be EXTREMELY stressed and sleep deprived so be sure to try a keep composed and try to do more loving than discipline.

That's the best I got.
    Deathlilly

Answer by Deathlilly at 12:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010