if you're married or living together do you split money evenly?

Just curious. I was talking about this with my cousin and sister the other day. My cousin and I are both married and split money equally. my sister and bf who live together split the bills, and whatever they have left over from the checks is what's theres, but they do share sometimes. And then my cousin was takling about her bil and his fiance and how she nickles and dimes everything. She even told me if he eats a bowl of cereal, he has to pay her back for that.

shoot4thestars

Asked by shoot4thestars at 12:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Money & Work

• Meh, we don't really "split money" - even or not - we have one account and spend it as we choose. I don't okay my spending with him and he doesn't with me, we simply know how much is there and spend it as we will... There isn't any splitting really... If it's there it's fair game.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 12:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• married...we have our own money, pay for what needs to be paid, what is left is ours to share or keep for ourselves.

virginiamama71

Answer by virginiamama71 at 12:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My hubby and I share everything. I bring in as mucha s he does monthly but we share our lives together so therefore we share all responsibilities and pleasures together as well. I cant believe she would be such a control freak really?
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 12:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• he needs to ditch her LOL that's silly to pay back for a bowl of cereal! that's petty college room mate BS
    DarkFaery131

Answer by DarkFaery131 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Um no I spend all the money lol but on what we need.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 12:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We have 50-50 marriage... he makes it and I spend it. lol
    dmbutler

Answer by dmbutler at 12:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No
    We are not at the point where we can dictate who gets to spend what money, we spend money on what we need and that is it. If He needs something, even a nice shirt for work because his old ones are not cutting it, we get that, If I need something, like new shoes because the soles are bad on mine, we will get that for me. So it is at an as needed basis right now, no need to split because there isn't much there.
    DomoniqueWS

Answer by DomoniqueWS at 12:24 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• When my hubby and I first got married, we used his check for all the bills and my check for our groceries and play money. Now that I am a SAHM we use his entire check for everything, but we know what is left over and we discuss what will be used for savings and what will be play money.
    FLAngel981

Answer by FLAngel981 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• we go 50/50 on the bills and whats left is our own money. but DH thinks men should support the woman and always tried to buy me everything with his half and lets me save mine but we always argue about it
    Kayge

Answer by Kayge at 12:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• oops sorry didn't really mean "split" in my question. just meant we share what's left over from bills every week.
    shoot4thestars

Comment by shoot4thestars (original poster) at 12:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010