nature vs. nurture behavior

What is the reason behind a childs behavior. ie teens that abuse their mothers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:46 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I think that we as a society aren't teaching our children to respect thier elders and they get way too much handed to them. I also feel like people have certain personality traits that they are born with. I was afraid to abuse my mother- never even crossed my mind to raise my voice to her. My child on the other hand, will flip out at me in a minute. it's my own fault though. I'm trying to fix it.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• ^ i must agree, good answer. My babies are still small and i am trying my hardest not to let society have a big affect on them.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 7:24 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I believe it's everything we see and hear that has the power to positively or negatively influence our children. Abuse....well, I believe that that is mainly a learned behavior but it doesn't necessarily have to be. It could be genetics. These days, a lot of what we see goes underneath the surface. There's not always one right answer. But in order to get a head start on these barriers lined to corrupt our children parents must 1st instill good values in them.
    SugaB28

Answer by SugaB28 at 8:10 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I want to move to an island away from everyone else. I know it isn't realistic, but I dont want my baby girl exposed to the contaminated world... and I'm not talking germs. I am thinking of homeschooling, so I can let her see only what she needs to. I think that most things are learned behavior, but things like obesity, or alcoholism, can certainly be linked to your genes... I think about this all the time.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 8:20 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Failure to parent. We are part of the "lets be your friend not your mom" generation(s)... You can't respect that as a child. The past several generations have been so focused on rights, somewhere along the line they forgot about the responsibilities that those rights require--and one of those is respect. Parents want to blame society, schools, whatever...but the basic fault is themselves.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:22 PM on Oct. 11, 2008