Prepping for the dentist

My son just turned 2, and we're going to take him to the dentist for the first time soon. Any tips on getting him prepared for it? Thanks!

musicpisces

Asked by musicpisces at 12:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• I pretend to be the Dentist...let's count your teeth and I get my fingers in there with him laying back rubbing each tooth and his gums. I tell him wow...really great brushing...who is helping you with that (he thinks I'm funny cause I do), how about a little tooth polish to make then shine...what flavor do you want...and give about 10 choices cause they do...bubble gum, strawberry, grape, cherry, it goes on forever..

then I say get ready for the big vibrations and I pretend to polish his teeth while making a buzzy pretend sound...now rinse and spilt...

ours does the sun glasses for kid eye protection and for that big light above them, they put on their gloves (I have copied that one too), often face covers...they take kids pic and offer a toy~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 12:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• There should be a good book at the library to help with that. Books always help my dd with new experiences.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 12:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I make it sound exciting :) "yay your getting big you get to go to the dentist and show them your pearly whites" he had to have a little work done on a tooth he chipped also and he did so good.
    crazymom21

Answer by crazymom21 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• With my kids I read them books about going to the dentist, we watched some kids shows about the dentist and I talked about what a dentist does. (I used to work in a dentist office). My 1st was great about going right back, opening up and letting them do an exam/cleaning on the 1st visit. My 2nd and 3rd were very hesitant so we 'worked up' to the cleanings in stages. At their 1st visit they just looked in the room and watched brother get his teeth done. Then next visit they sat in the chair.. after a few times they started to feel comfortable and eventually let Doctor examine their teeth and the hygienist clean their teeth.

MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my daughter wasnt scared of the dentist at all! we just told her what was going to happen and that was it.
    mommaofemma

Answer by mommaofemma at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2010