When do boys start puberty?

My son is turning 10 in October

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Its different for everyone but girls its usually 9-12 and boys are usually about 2-3 years behind that. So 11-15. They also take bigger growth spurts than girls.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I remember lots of cracking voices in middle school!!!! :-) I know it varies though... just like girls. It's harder to tell when boys start since they don't have an event like a period, but I would say 11-13 is average.
    Kisses4Henry

Answer by Kisses4Henry at 1:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My husband says 10-14.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 1:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It could be anytime, it could be a couple years, even 3 or 4. My son is 12 and hasn't hit it yet.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My son is 14 and is just kind of starting. He still looks like an 11 year old. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• early as 10-11 yrs old
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 8:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I know this sounds dumb but just imagine if you were to send him off somewhere for alittle while I bet he will look very different when you see him again.
    I remember as a kid my brother stayed with my grandmother for the summer and omg he was a lot taller and just looked so different. so if we see that person every day we will never notice maybe alittle. I know how you feel I have a 9 yr. old be 10 next yr.
    Butterfly1108

Answer by Butterfly1108 at 9:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Both my boys started right around 10/11 yrs old. It varies by child just like it does for girls.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 2:52 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Puberty in boys starts at the same time as it does in girls. There is no difference in the time that puberty starts between the sexes. The difference is in that girls you can see the physical changes earlier than that of boys. In boys the first signs of puberty is the testies growing in size. Most boys of this age will rarely let their parents see this. The first signs parents may see is pubic hair if there is not a lot of modesty in the home, others may not notice anything until they see things like underarm hair, body odor, voice changes.

The average age for puberty starting in both boys and girls is 11. Outward changes in boys are normally seen around age 12.5-13. You would expect a 13 year old to have pubic hair, you would not expect a 12yo to have pubic hair. Thats the basis of how our dr put it to us.
    SNKMama

Answer by SNKMama at 12:52 PM on Sep. 10, 2010

• My son started to get some pubic hair at 12. By 14 he was fully developed.
    KarenS67

Answer by KarenS67 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 17, 2010