Does this sound like an ear infection?

My little man is sick. :( Hes almost 5 mths old. Hes running a low grade fever and wont stop screaming. He isnt eating much. (had prob 8 oz total since 8:30 this am) He cries while he's eating. He has reflux so he is usually fussy when he eats but nothing like this. Last week he had a cold that turned into bronchiolitis. He seemed to be getting better then yesterday afternoon he took a 4 hour nap and woke up with a fever. I was just holding him and noticed some yellowish kind of crusty stuff in his ear. At first I thought it was dried puke drool but when I tried to wipe it out, he screamed. Could he have an ear infection? My daughters never had one so I dont know. I thought most kids pulled at their ears when they had ear infections and hes not....Could it just be that he doesnt know he has ears yet? lol Anyways, does this sound like an ear infection? Could it still be part of the bronchiolitis?

nicholeml

Asked by nicholeml at 6:50 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like a possibility.....you said he is getting over bronchiolitis.....is he still draining in his nose or troat....? B/c that is when my son would always get them....when the fluid began to drain...it would not drain outta his ear.....a quick check at the Dr could tell you right away....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:53 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• it sounds that way to me.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 6:55 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• It sounds like 1 or the beginnng of 1. All my kids did when they were younger & my son had tubes put in. As far as weather or not they pull 2 their ears, IDK bc mine never did. The only way I knew was the fever. Call his dr & c what he/she says bc they mite tell u 2 go 2 the er bc he's so young. Hope he feels better soon.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 7:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Thats what I thought. I'll take him to the er as soon as his dad gets home from work. My 3 year old is being a bit of a pain today and I dont want to sit there with both of them. lol. Hes sleeping now anyways. Thanks
    nicholeml

Answer by nicholeml at 7:18 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Oh dear. Poor little tyke. It does sound like an ear infection and that it should be treated. Does your doctor have an emergency number? or is there an urgent care clinic near you? Other than that the emergencry room sounds like a good idea so the baby feels better.

Answer by Bmat at 8:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008