Any helpful info on eczema with a 2 yr old?

My doctor insists that my 2 yr old has it but it seems to be all over his body except for his back, feet and hands. He breaks out w/ a rash then itches all the time. Doc gave me a cream to put on it but it doesn't seem to help. Also it seems like he breaks out more when we are outside- it's not heat rash.
It's almost like he is allergic to something outside.
I put tons of lotion on him throughout the day and have cut out bathtime as much as possible. I have thought about giving him benedryl for the itching but gosh, I don't want to give him meds like that every day.
I have changed his laundry soap to a free/clear.
Also, every website pictures I find w/ eczema they never come close to what his does.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 1:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Hmmm. Well you might try a different doc. Both my kids and myself have/had it. Usually its all over the body if it gets a chance to spread and usually starts on the back or tummy. What I suggest doing is using fragrance free bath soap and something with oatmeal like Aveeno. Next, make sure water is lukewarm. After bath is done slather on Aveeno fragrance free lotion while skin is damp. Make sure you aren't using perfume on yourself or fabric softener or dryer sheets. Make sure you wash all baby's clothes prior to wearing 1st time. Put a cool mist humidifier in baby's room to hydrate. You really gotta get a handle on it now too because when winter hits it will be so much worse. Try asking a pharmacist for something too. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Dead Sea Salt soak followed by shea butter. See an allergist. Dairy & gluten are common culprits of skin afflictions.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010