Can anyone give me helpful info on eczema w/ a 2 yr old?

My doctor insists that my 2 yr old has it but it seems to be all over his body except for his back, feet and hands. He breaks out w/ a rash then itches all the time. Doc gave me a cream to put on it but it doesn't seem to help. Also it seems like he breaks out more when we are outside- it's not heat rash.
It's almost like he is allergic to something outside.
I put tons of lotion on him throughout the day and have cut out bathtime as much as possible. I have thought about giving him benedryl for the itching but gosh, I don't want to give him meds like that every day.
I have changed his laundry soap to a free/clear.
Also, every website pictures I find w/ eczema they never come close to what his does.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 1:11 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Kids' Health

• No dairy
    Keep baths short and infrequent
    Put coconut oil on the afflicted areas
    Don't use any scented products

Answer by rkoloms at 6:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Has he had any allergy testing done? You can put benedryl creme his rash. Equate brand works just as good.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:51 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My 2 year has had excema for a year now. 100% cotton clothes is what we went to and has helped so much. Also oil of olay lotion helps. The allergist suggest we put vasoline all iver to keep mosture in. this ruins clothes though. One doctor put my baby in a steroid cream and it changed her pigmeny of her skin. Got a secound oponio. And she gave me a differnt cream that works great. Would gladly give u more indo if wanted on meds. Also fragrence free shampoo and soap. Sauve has one for kids it a white bottle and ivory soap. Benadrly wont hurt him if it makes him feel better but understand abour nit wanting to do meds. My daughter is on zrtec which I dont know if that is what helped but with all these she has been rash free fir 3 months. Good luck and hoped I helped.
    luvmyjob3

Answer by luvmyjob3 at 11:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Try the benadryl and see if it helps? If it does go back to the doctor and get allergy testing.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 12:26 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Check the food allergies is always a good idea. The other thing is homeopathy can really help heal some of those issues as well....good luck!
    mamatrip

Answer by mamatrip at 12:42 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have heard that gluten free diet helps people with it.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:10 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• No Dairy, Keep his baths short & cool.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 9:01 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• No Gluten or dairy. Try Renew lotion from Melaleuca. I can put in touch with a distributor if you need one a friend of mine sells it.
    wellnessgirl

Answer by wellnessgirl at 5:18 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• i agree with everyone
    FreeSpriT4eva

Answer by FreeSpriT4eva at 9:54 PM on Sep. 24, 2010