Eczema info w/ a 2 yr old.. Any one have any?

My doctor insists that my 2 yr old has it but it seems to be all over his body except for his back, feet and hands. He breaks out w/ a rash then itches all the time. Doc gave me a cream to put on it but it doesn't seem to help. Also it seems like he breaks out more when we are outside- it's not heat rash.
It's almost like he is allergic to something outside.
I put tons of lotion on him throughout the day and have cut out bathtime as much as possible. I have thought about giving him benedryl for the itching but gosh, I don't want to give him meds like that every day.
I have changed his laundry soap to a free/clear.
Also, every website pictures I find w/ eczema they never come close to what his does.

cuteasabutton78

Asked by cuteasabutton78 at 1:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• what exactly does it look like? dd and i have it and its only little red bumps (nothing like the pics i see on the internet) try using baby oil instead of lotion and 1% hydrocortizone 3 times a day. good luck!
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 1:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Anything new in his diet? My lil one broke out in a horrible rash around one year old and we changed to free/clear laundry soap, was careful about what we did with him, etc. Nothing worked - no creams, no lotions, nothing! Went BACK to doc and she finally did a blood test and we found out he has a milk allergy. I'd be checking for SOME kind of allergy - whether it is environmental (outside), food, or something. There is something triggering that rash. My son's was so bad all over his body that his doc gave him prednisone to get it under control. Benedryl is a good start - you could definitely give him that for the itching! If your doc can't help, go see an allergist.
    mama2000_1

Answer by mama2000_1 at 1:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My DD has pretty bad eczema. Lotions weren't cutting it (even unscented were burning her) and steroid creams weren't that great either (though to be honest I didn't give them the good ol' college try). It may sound CRAZY but the one thing I found to work...is a hazelwood necklace. After it took her eczema away, I got one for my nephew who also had it BAD. His is gone as well. Check out www.hyenacart.com/inspiredbyfinn. There's a link pertaining to the benefits of hazelwood.

Have you tried cutting out dairy?
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 1:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Two of my kids have eczema, and they don't look like the pictures on the internet either. Right now they are doing really well, and it's been since they used a product from forces of nature website. It has all natural ingredients. It's combined with a lot of the natural remedies that you read about online, but it's bottled into one product.
    twinmama2five

Answer by twinmama2five at 1:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It started as perfect circle dry patches of skin on his back and inside he elbows and knees. That is when the doc said eczema, and sent us off with some Desonide Ointment. It's gotten worse the in the last month, he breaks out w/ small red bumps, I thought it was just heat rash at first (he broke out one day when it was very hot and humid).
    At first you could feel his skin was rough and bumpy before you could see anything. His legs and arms are covered w/ scabs and red bumpy rash.
    I have tried anti-itch creams but he cries because it stings, I have been using Eucerin Cream to help with moisturizing but he's not getting better even w/ the prescription.
    I have not cut any dairy out because he's been drinking milk and having dairy for almost 2 yrs.
    It really seems to get worse when we spend time outside. I will be making another appointment- hopefully with a dermatologist.
    cuteasabutton78

Comment by cuteasabutton78 (original poster) at 8:56 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• DD has bad eczema, ever since she was a baby, and she's almost 5 now. Desonide is what we use when it flares up bad. I would NOT use lotion. You should try aquaphor or even plain old vaseline.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 2, 2010

• my daughter has it and I found out when she was 2 and I give her a bath every other day but lotion her up good everyday Eucerin on her and it works pretty good.
    coryswife8183

Answer by coryswife8183 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 3, 2010