Do you and your SO/DH have completely different backgrounds?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 1:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Relationships

• Sorta. He had a deadbeat mom and was later adopted. How he ended up unscarred from some of his childhood is truly an act of God. He was a Christian when we met and I was so impressed at how he was so put-together! I had very strict parents(as were his adoptive ones) but mine did it to the point that I wasn't allowed to breath without asking first. It really hindered me in a lot of things. We have more in common though than not.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Kinda. His family was more conservative Christian, strict. I grew up more on my own.
    txdaniella

Answer by txdaniella at 1:36 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes... I was the spoiled brat youngest child he was the oldest and had a terrible childhood
    Spidermonkey531

Answer by Spidermonkey531 at 1:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes my so and I have a bit of an age gap and hes a military brat while i grew up w no rules or schedule! plus i tried all the bad things as a teen while he didnt!
    mymestey

Answer by mymestey at 1:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes. DH is 15 years older and is Texan, so he was raised with a certain amount of Southern morals, manners and courtesies. I'm more "trailer park chic." He's also from a middle class family and I'm from a pretty poor background, but neither of us were raised in any religion. Somehow we're both very similar now!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes and no. We both were fairly poor growing up, and both of our fathers were big into bluegrass and country music (musicians). His family is pretty tight knit, mine wandered around the country in the Air Force.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yes somewhat.he had a horrible father and was beat he hates his dad.my grandparents raised me my mom was around though.never knew my dad and i was spoiled and a only child i grew up in the church.he has 2 sisters,and 2 brothers,he went to church but different denomination.he is half mexican but dont claim it or speak any spanish and we are 10yrs apart in age.
    alyssa1

Answer by alyssa1 at 10:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My DF was born and raised in Arkansas and I was born in Montana but raised in California. I guess hes a coutry boy and I am a Cali girl LOL
    noahsmommy12908

Answer by noahsmommy12908 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Haha, yes. His parents were super strict, and now they're a big pain in the a$$, not being supportive, trying to be overly controlling (from what he tells me, they were the same when he was growing up). My parents/family has always been super supportive, and raised me right, but not by being overly strict. Because of this, we have really different parenting styles, but we manage :)
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 6:01 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We're not that different. His parents were just about as strict as mine were. He just snuck around behind his parents backs and I didn't. He lost his mom at 15, so all he had was his father. He has three older siblings and I'm an only child. He is also 9 years older than me. My parents were overly protective and nosey (especially when it comes to my business). His dad kind of always kept to himself and felt my husband's life was his life and it was private.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:13 PM on Sep. 2, 2010