Hi! New and TTC!

Hello, CafeMom members! My fiance and I have been ttc for just over a month (I know, patience is a virtue, but I'm stubborn and impatient :-P) My issue is that I don't have normal menstrual cycles. I have not had one since March, and usually will go up to a year without them if not on BC (March was my first "natural" one in about 5 years). It's hereditary, my mom was the same way. I'm in very good health. So I guess my question is, does anyone have any tips? I had been wondering if getting on a low dose BC Pill would force my periods and make it easier. Do you have thoughts on that?

I appreciate your replies and am excited to join the CafeMom community :)
Sarah

Sarita.F

Asked by Sarita.F at 1:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Trying to Conceive

• I would talk to my ob/gyn and possible a fertility specialist if you are unsuccessul after 6 months. In the meantime, try to figure out when you are ovulating, that's all you really need. You can buy ovulation tests next to preg tests in stores or you can try to tell by the discharge in your underwear. Buy the book, What To Expect Before You Are Expecting. It lays it out really well!!!!! Welcome to CM.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank you, I'm on my way to purchase the book now! I've been taking the ovulation tests since we began trying and it hasn't picked anything up yet. Hopefully soon they will. I guess I'm going to have to be more patient than I'm used to, for now.

:) Sarah
    Sarita.F

Comment by Sarita.F (original poster) at 2:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I don't remember "WhatTo Expect" doing that.. but it's been a decade since I read it...

"Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is the Bible on getting pregnant.

Consult your doc about the pill... but I've never known it to force someone into a cycle that stays normal once they're off it.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with some of the previous answerers. I don't know if a low-dose pill will help you to ovulate regularly, but you could talk to an OB/GYN about it.

In the meantime, I'd definitely suggest doing regular ovulation tests. And have sex. Don't forget that part - practice makes pregnant!
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 2:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I love "practice makes pregnant"!!! We're currently taking ovulation tests every night- well, I am at least- and practicing every other night. I had an appt with my Dr. the day after tomorrow but he had an emergency of some sort and I cannot stand his NP, who is taking over while he's gone. I just couldn't wait til the next appointment to ask about this! I really appreciate all of your answers.

:) Sarah
    Sarita.F

Comment by Sarita.F (original poster) at 2:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2010