Do you think that a child should be put on ritalin or ridalin however you spell it?

When I was younger they had me on it and though I was only in the second grade I remember not liking it and pretending to take it every day cause when I would take it I wasn't me.
What is your opinion?

agriffinmom4

Asked by agriffinmom4 at 1:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Honestly? No. I don't think drugging a child is ever okay unless its life or death or the child is in misery. Its like teling someone you're going to give them a pill to change their personality. Kids are hyper. People need to get over it and stop expecting them to act like mini adults all the time.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 1:53 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, that's a tough question. The people who I have known that were on it as children do say that it worked for them. I've never taken it, nor has anyone in my family, so I can't know the answer.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They don't use it anymore because it's not safe. The have knock offs though. My mom , a teacher, works with kids with behavioural problems. And some of those kids NEED something. Seriously. Off it they are throwing desks and biting and stuff like that. You have to see them yourself. If it can be managed off meds, it's ideal. I don't believe it is the answer for everyone and it should be heavily discussed before treating with meds.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 1:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yes for some, no for others. I know some parents whose kids are on it and it's made a huge difference in a positive manner, and I know some whose kids didn't do as well with it. It really is totally individual to the child.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 1:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I am against this. I don't think its right to alter a growing brain. and I do believe that the ADHD diagnoses gets thrown around too much. I just read that over a million children in the country are miss diagnosed with ADHD because of immaturity, because the teacher thought they had it sent them to docs....and come to find out they were all the youngest in their classes. Just do your own research and talk to your doc and do what you think is right don't let anyone bully you into a decision.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• because the teacher thought they had it sent them to docs...

This is misinformation- teachers report out on behaviors, we are not allowed to recommend that a child goes and sees a doctor or is tested for anything that is not learning "physically" related ie-hearing, vision. When I meet with parents to discuss behaviors they usually jump right to ADD/ADHD- I usually give them other strategies but most want immediate results and go to the doctor. I have had parents later say I told them their child was ADD/ADHD and because of confidentiality I just nod and smile if we are in a group setting- if not, I remind them that my suggestions were things other than medical intervention. We are given forms to fill out by doctors, but we do not diagnose or recommend medical intervention.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It depends on the child. I believe that medication is over-prescribed; it's easy to say your child has a medical issue, not that they are just a spoiled brat with no boundaries. Medication has its place, I know children that have benefited greatly from it, but I think that parents need to take a hard look at their own parenting before jumping into medication.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have seen a number of kids for whom it really works and brings out the REAL them- the kid that doesn't fight and argue, the kid that has friends, the kid that contributes in class- it is a life changer for some. I think from my experience that the one size fits all in giving it to kids is not a good thing so parents need to watch their kids, talk to them, talk to their teachers to see if it helps or hinders their child.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 10:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think it depends on the child. If their behavior can be modified without medication then it isnt necessary. Behavior modification isnt for every child. Meds are needed sometimes.
    dmelyoung

Answer by dmelyoung at 11:29 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They think my oldest should be seen for behavioral issues regarding ADD ADHD....it drives me up the effin wall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HE'S A 7 YR OLD BOY.....HE'S GROSS get over it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its because his prissy clean freak OCD teacher couldn't deal with him that she started this can of worms. I refuse to even bring it up I just smile and nod and forget it.....His older 1/2 brother on his dads side, is diagnosable and after talking with his dad over the recommendation of the dr....we both agreed that there is nothing wrong with our son......its frustrating
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 11:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010