Please tell me everything will work out for the best! adult content

As some of you may remember I mistreated my son (now 4 years old) in the past and allowed him to be mistreated by a man I thought I would marry. I had another child with that man and now I am in a custody battle with him over our 1 year old daughter. Like I said i know what I did was wrong and I am taking the steps I need to correct those mistakes. (No I didnt beat him but I did do things that didnt seem so bad through my ppd eyes, but now looking back I realize that it was emotional abuse.) I am in counseling as well as have completed 2 parenting classes and am enrolled in a 3. My ex has a way of making people believe that he is this innocent man who never did anything other than sit back and watch me "handle" my son... this is not true. He was just as much a part of the abuse, and was the reason for some of my abuse towards my son. (I felt my son wouldnt see me as the one in charge) My ex is trying to say that (continued)

mommy06and09

Asked by mommy06and09 at 2:05 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in General Parenting

• he is worried that my daughter will undergo the same abuse that my son did. Well as said I am getting help for my issues but he is not. I am so scared that none of that will matter though and that he will get full custody and i will only be granted visitation. On top of the abuse, he also did things like hold my sons head in between his legs and pass gas saying he was just playing and that it was funny. Why I stayed with him is beyond me and I regret it but I did and its a choice I have to live with. Anyways I just need to hear that everything will work out for the best, whatever that may be.
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 2:09 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not sure what you did in the past but I can't tell you everything will work out for the best. You have control over your own actions and mistreating a child....you're lucky you aren't in jail and that the state hasn't put him with a foster home. Dedicate the rest of your life to being a very good mom. Your son deserves that. GL
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have been there done that except my ex has my two children..... I hope that things get better for you and me.... check his backround and see his criminal history if he has any thing to use against him. Keep doing your classes they will make you better and look better I need to do some myself.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i yelled a lot and did things like held him in a shower knowing he hates water on his face. it was torture to him. i also didnt clean the house so there were dirty diapers and dishes everywhere. i also locked him in his room for awful amounts of time. there was one time when he actually crawled out his window while i was napping in the living room. he stayed in our yard thankfully but like i said i am changing now. i know its not an excuse but i had severe ppd and didnt want to admit it cause i never thought of killing my kids and i couldnt see how i was hurting them. all i did all day was sat around or slept and i know now how that hurt them both. i am doing what i can to get better. i will fight like hell for my kids. i have a lawyer who is pushing for joint custody but i dont see how that is doable without the 1 one year old being psychologically messed up (since the only time she was away from me was when he hid her from
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 2:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• me for two nights when she was 6 months old) also we live an hour apart so when school starts that really wont be an option. which makes me think why start something now if its only going to last a few years....
    mommy06and09

Comment by mommy06and09 (original poster) at 2:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• 9 times out of 10 younger children are given to the mother. Good luck hang in there.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 2:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010