how can you tell if your child is bored in school or if it is something more

my son is 5 in kindergarten and seems tom have trouble paying attention in class when it is time to work he is on another planet or something ..Is he bored or can it be something else how can we tell??

reckgeth2

Asked by reckgeth2 at 6:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Teacher here: It could be a LONNNNNNG list of things or a combination......Did he go to preschool? If not....he could just be a little overwhelmed with the change.....or maybe he is just a little immature (NOT a bad thing....just a fact sometimes with little ones) Is he following classroom rules....If so...he may just be a dreamer.....I was in school ;) If he is having trouble sitting still or doing what he should do...then he could be a ramboucious little boy....typical.....Most people want to jump up and say ADHD....but I am slow to label them like that.....give him a little time to adjust.....talk to his teacher and ask her for specific things you can do to help him :) Hope this helped....I know it was all over the place... :)
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 6:57 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with mom2twobabes, also talk to the school counselor to get a third opinion, they are a great resource.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I agree with the first 2 answers: at the least, boredom, at the extreme, ADHD or learning disability. I think the first step would be meeting with some school officials, getting some opinions on what it could be based on their years of experience with a wide variety of kids personalities, problems, etc. Teachers have experience with way more kids than we as parents do, so they see the huge differences in kids, whereas we are limited to our kids and our kids friends to try to figure out what's going on with them. Have you talked to the teacher yet? I'd go to her first, tell her you're concerned and ask her if, in her opinion, you should be.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:44 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I'm not a teacher, but I've never known a child to get bored in school just because it was boring and not fun, especially in K. Now my lil one is very bright and thought school to be a bit too easy for her. But they do a lot of fun-learning in K. All kids I have ever known that were genuinely bored w/ school (like my neice) found that it was not stimulating enough. Could be he's above that grade level academically, or it could be he's not bored and just can't keep up. But I think that usually leads to being disruptive. Daydreaming sounds more like understimulated. He could be tested.
    LADYLadylady

Answer by LADYLadylady at 5:21 AM on Oct. 23, 2008