How can I get my 17 month old daughter to sleep in her own bed??

Mya has co-slept with us in our bed since she was 2 weeks old. She's now 17 months and I have tried everything to get her to sleep in her own bed (toddler bed).
I have tried the cry it out technique, she will scream her self sick and wont give up until I have walked in the room and picked her up.
I have tried sitting next to the bed and sitting there till she falls asleep, she just lays awake.
My daughter just cant seem to sleep unless Im holding her and cuddling her in bed. Ive tried introducing a teddy bear for comfort instead of myself, she just throws it on the floor and screams until Ive cuddled her.
This might seem mean, but Ive even left her in the room, with her dummy and told her time for bed, again she just screams...
Does anyone know how I can get my daughter to sleep on her own, in her own bed without my partner and I for her comfort... Im at witts end!

MyasMum

Asked by MyasMum at 2:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You just have to do it. Don't pick her up, calming her down is okay, but don't talk to her either. She will eventually get the hang of it but you have to be strict and dead set on it. It takes 21 days to break a physical habit, so it's going to require a lot of time and patience from you.

GL!
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• well she's not even 2 yet. she's still a baby. I don't think you should let her cry alone in her room. But you have to do what works for you. Good luck.
    connorlove

Answer by connorlove at 5:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I should also say, my daughter is stubborn as all hell and alot smarter than an average 17 month old, she definately knows how to play on mummy's emotions. I cant stand to hear my baby scream, and tend to give in. The thing that bugs me is she knows what her bed is for because she will constantly go and lay on it and pull her blankets over her and her toys and pretend to sleep, but as soon as it comes to bed time, its mummy or nothing. She has a well established routine and the nights i do put her in her bed, when she wakes up and walks out of her room I do walk her back to her bed but she'll just scream, the only way to calm her down is by putting her in our bed. Ive tried absolutely everything, even putting MY pillow on her bed so she has my smell... Nothing works, shes so friggen stubborn. So does anyone have any ideas on techniques that dont involve letting them cry it out (coz it just doesnt work for my princess)
    MyasMum

Comment by MyasMum (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I agree with Glamourina. My DD never slept in the same bed as us, but she did sleep in the same room as us, with her bed right beside ours. At 17 months we put her in her own bed, in her own room and we did the CIO method to get her to stay in her own bed. It took a lot of frustrating nights, but she finally did it. She is now 24 months and will sometimes get up in the middle of the night and get in bed with us, but we just take her back into her room. You just have to be strict and constant with her. You can't give in unless you know for sure that something's wrong with her.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 12:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010