How Do I tell my mom.

I'm seventeen and I think I might be pregnant. My mom has high hopes for me and I'm scared that I will let her down if I tell her. I need help can someone please tell me what I should do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:59 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Pregnancy

• oh honey.... my younger sister is on here, her screen name is lemons2kisses.... she had her first when she was sixteen, her second at seventeen. please contact her...she's been through some rough times so she'll know what to tell you....

my answer for you, as it was for her.....be honest. you may be surprised how much support you have around you as long as you don't shut yourself out and start telling lies just out of fear. Your mom loves you. as scared and upset as she may be at first, she also gets a grandbaby....head up young person, and good luck!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:01 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Don't tell her until you know for absolutely sure. Then I would feel her out first. look into all of your options on how you are going to take care of this little one, hopefully including finishing school and going to college or technical school. Show her you have a plan and can be responsible, and try to do your best. She may surprise you. I don't want my daughter to get pregnant while in school, but even more than that I don't want her to think she has to keep it from me. Get a plan before you tell her. Good Luck!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:02 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Well first, I would make sure that I was pregnant before saying anything. No need in causing issues between you and your mom if you aren't. And then, tell her. The way I told my mother (and the rest of my family for that matter) was by asking her how she would like to be a grandma, and when she asked why, I said "because your oldest daughter (that would be me) is pregnant."

You can still attend school and do everything that you planned on doing before, and don't let anyone tell you that you can't. Just because you have a child does not mean your life is over, I don't care what anyone says. You just have to go about things in a different way.

And remember - Your mom will always be your mom, regardless if she is disappointed in you at first or not. She will still love you, and have a little faith, she may surprise you with her reaction. I know mine did.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 7:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Yes you should tell your mom. She would want to know. She'll be upset for a while but will get over it as she loves you. Give her a chance. She's been through it and can help you. My daughter(13) just told us she and a boy her age had unprotected sex. She could be pregnant! I give her a lot of credit for telling us even though we are hurt and dissapointed. We still love her!
    Kellyplus3

Answer by Kellyplus3 at 7:04 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I second both of the other comments, make sure you know for certain, then have a plan
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 7:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I would tell her! Shes going to find out sooner or later. I was 16 when I became pregnant 3 years ago.
    sunshine21pa

Answer by sunshine21pa at 8:33 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Make sure you are pregnant and you have to be honest with your mother. You will be surprised how supportive a mother can be. It may be hard at first and there maybe some tears shed between the both of you but I would remain honest and ask your mother for her advice and support. I also know some very successful women that were teen moms that would not have made it without support from the moms. Good luck and things will work out for you!
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 8:39 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• you're 17, she knows its happening. just go up to her and go "hey mom I need a girls only shopping time..." get a home pregnancy test and involve her. be honest and upfront. just tell her your concerns adn why you think you need a HPT. Parents can be your best of friends -- just gotta let em know -- treat her like she's a friend and not mama.
    makaena

Answer by makaena at 9:38 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I just want to say thank you to everyone that has left me help. If anyone has any more advice for a soon to be teenage mom let me know, i could always use the help.
    Anonymous

• IM AICHA AND IM GOIN THROUGH THE SAME EXACT THING. IM 17 AND PREGO AND REALLY SCARED TO TELL MY MOM. IM 4 MONTHS 2DAY AND REALLY STRESSED THANKS TO THE BABYS DAD. I HAVENT GONE 2 THE DOCTOR YET BECAUSE IM 2 SCARED
    trina1991

Answer by trina1991 at 10:34 PM on Oct. 11, 2008