Would You Sue?

A friend dropped off their west highland terrier at doggie daycare, a vet/boarding kennel owned & operated by a decorated vet, president of the local animal shelter. Within two hours they get a call the dog is dead.... a great dane sat on the westie in the wading pool and he drowned.

They are buying them a new westie and paying for first year of vet bills IF they bring the dog to THAT vet office

Spidermonkey531

Asked by Spidermonkey531 at 2:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Pets

• I would sue, of course. If not for your friend and the loss of their dogs, but to protect future incidents as well. I'd be asking for a whole lot more compensation than just that crap.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It to me seems like they are doing what they can to correct the problem. I am very sorry to hear what happened to the dog and hope that the family is doing ok.... I wouldn't cause i mean they are trying to rectify the problem fairly.
    agriffinmom4

Answer by agriffinmom4 at 2:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think they should cover the first year of vet bills, regardless of which vet your friend picked. Forcing her/him to use that vet after the traumatic experience they already caused is unacceptable to me.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 2:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• being litigious myself....no. It is a huge hassle, and unless you are going for over a million, I don't thinks its worth it.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:52 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That is so sad and now i am very scared because i am supposed to be using a kennel for my dog during christmas :(

I dont think I would sue but I would be letting everyone know what happened, at least they are taking responsibility for it but still that is just so very sad, you cant just replace a pet. It isnt like a object, they have a personality and you have a bond with them, you cant just go get a new one and its all better.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I would sue.
    ripburn

Answer by ripburn at 3:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It was an accident - I guess I'd have to know the circumstances of how the dogs ended up together in the pool and what supervision was going on. I don't think I'd sue, they are offering them more than they would get through the court system (after the lawyer takes their share.)
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm on the fence about this one but I don't think you should have to take the new dog to their vet, they should pay the bills to whatever vet you choose to use.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:50 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well I would not sue. I would have them pay for a new dog.(Not that the other was replaceable) I would demand vet of choice. Considering I doubt I would ever use them again, I wouldn't want their vet either. I do wonder why such a big dog was unattended with the little one.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 10:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• They could go to small claims court.....and I would....Dogs are EXTREMELY smart and to say a Great Dane sat on the dog and drowned it is obscene.....the would have felt the dog and gotten up.....this sounds fishy.....unless he sat on the dog and broke its neck or something I would have the dog looked at by another vet to see.....that is horrible.....and they need to grieve before just jumping on the offer of we'll buy you a new dog....no I think I would sue....you're pet is part of your family.....I hate to put it like this but; wouldn't you sue if a really fat kid sat on your baby in a wading pool and drowned them? I don't see a difference....but I know alot of people have a forgive and forget philosophy. And P.S. you don't take your dog the vet THAT much in the first year unless something is wrong so really thats not THAT much compensation....
    HTMommy

Answer by HTMommy at 2:20 PM on Sep. 1, 2010