What age do you allow your child to sleep over at friends house?

Im more strict on my girls than my parents were w me. My 8 yr old has only stayed w relatives. Im thinking shes still to young plus I dnt know any of her friends parents and dnt care to at this point. Oh and I dnt have any friends w kids so I dnt count that as finally allowing sleepovers anyways. I feel no a days parents are more concerned and picky over their kids friends and limits to what they can do. What age did you allow your child to sleep over and how well did you know the family?

mymestey

Asked by mymestey at 2:46 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• never~freaky me out.
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 2:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My only child is 5 years old and has never slept away from home without us. She is already asking for sleepovers and I refuse. Maybe when she is 10 years old I might let her, or I would let other kids sleep here sooner. My nephew is 30 days younger than she and I can't tell you how many nights he has spent here. There was always a problem. Non-existent ghosts, nightmares, eating all the hidden chocoloate at 1am, etc. While my daughter loves to travel, she isn't ready to do it alone.
    sillymoo

Answer by sillymoo at 2:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I think my daughter was 3 or 4 when she went to her friends house for the first time over night, I know the parents very well, our DH's work together, our sons have gone to school together since Kindy and they used to do daycare for us a few hours a day when I was working. Outside of that my kids have stayed overnight with cousins since they were 1 or 2.

My daughter is now 6 and has done sleep overs with her friends, one of her friends had a end of summer camp out and about 10 girls from school all stayed at one girls house. They had a ton of fun.

I make a point of knowing the parents of my childrens friends, even if they are not people i would be friends with i still need to know them so that i know who my children are with. We are very selective about who our kids can stay with and there is a very short list of friends they can have sleep overs with.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• LOL apparently 4! I would have never thought to be the parent that does that, but we are a military family, and my dd has became real close friends with a girl from her preschool, i want to have memories for her. why should she have to suffer just because we move too much?! I trust the girls parents 1 million percent, as they do with me.
    anikahaynes1

Answer by anikahaynes1 at 3:03 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• for me its not so much a question of age as it is how well i know the family. Like you said you dont know the families and dont care to. personally i really want to start to get to know the families of my sons friends because he is now asking for sleepovers (at 4) and i really want to be able to allow him the pleasures. i did sleepovers at a really young age and think it really helped me when i was older. i had a best friend when i was in first grade and she physically couldnt spend the nght at my house for like 3 years. every time she tried she got so upset that she threw up. i dont want that for my kids.
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 3:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Mommy06and09 my daughter has several friends like that also, that is why i let her sleep over at their house because she is so social and easy going about it, and several of her friends cant make it past 10 pm it is like it hits 10pm and they start crying and want to go home. I think some kids are just not emotionally ready for it and some are very ready and do really well.

Out of the 10 girls invited to the camp out last week 3 went home at bedtime.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 3:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well my oldest is almost 6 and I haven't yet. I don't think I will either until he's WAY older. I need him to be old enough to not be abused, you know what I mean? Like old enough to not be manipulated by an adult and stuff. I think parents are way too apt to say "ok Junior, go ahead and sleep at Billy's house" Even if you THINK you know a person you don't every truly do. Young kids are too afraid to say anything a lot of the time. You never know if there's dugs and alcohol there or if the parents are watching closely or anything. Then when they become teens you gotta worry about thm having sex, doing drugs and alcohol, smoking, sneaking out, running away, it just never ends. I think letting them sleep over puts them at risk every time. I've seen bad things like I've mentioned happen at CHURCH sleepovers.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i had this friend back when i was 14 n i slept over at her house n her dad touched me, i myself have a daughter, 2nd one on the way n oh no its not gonna happen to them, so forget sleepovers i dnt care if i know the parents, u cant rust n e one. as a matter a fact her dad used to be a real "close friend" of my dads, the whole family n all w my family. sick ppl
    chriskris

Answer by chriskris at 3:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• He was 5 or 6. And I refuse to deny him that experience or any other based on a few instances. I knew the parents when he went. You cannot live life afraid of everything and wrapped in bubbles. Get out and brave the world and hope for the best. Yes, you need to take precautions if possible and go the safest route, but, not at a detriment to yourself or your kids.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter was 7 when she first slept over at a friends house. They live in our neighborhood and I know them fairly well.

Answer by missanc at 9:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010