• In the Spotlight:

IS IT OK 2 BREASTFEED AND FEED MY BABY FORMULA FOOD 2?

kasey6767

Asked by kasey6767 at 7:00 PM on Oct. 11, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yep, I just stared, and all is going well, good luck!
    amyofthejungle

Answer by amyofthejungle at 7:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Absolutely! I do. I work 2 16 hr shifts on the weekends so my baby gets formula. and she is breastfed all week. It works out great.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 7:03 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• The best thing to do ideally for your baby is too fully breastfeed. Breastmilk has over 3000 nutrients and protects your baby from sickness. As long as you are drinking plenty of juice and water and eating healthy, and there is nothing serious hindering your milk supply you will not run out of milk and your baby will be getting enough. It is about supply and demand. If you put baby on a schedule though that will hinder your milk supply. The best thing to do is nurse whenever baby wants it. The more your baby nurses the more milk your body will make too keep up with babies needs. If you are worried about your milk supply being low drink lots of water and you can take Fenugreek and Blessed Thistle to increase your milk supply. You can get these at your local health food store. I hope this helps you.
    naturalhome

Answer by naturalhome at 7:07 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Any breastmilk is better than none, but remember using formula to replace a feeding you are there to actually nurse for will cause lower supply. Formula causes a baby to go farther between feedings which means less nursings and that lowers supply but also, the lack of nursing from those missed feeding will lower supply. Pump for each missed feeding or for when you use formula or your supply will go down.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Short answer is yes, absolutely, and there are even cm groups for moms who do both.
    Karinza

Answer by Karinza at 8:26 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• Could you pump and store the milk and use that instead of formula?

Answer by Bmat at 8:52 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• YES! YES! YES!!! I had to start my son on formula at 1 month. I was DEVESTATED...I thought giving him formula was like giving him poison. I had read all the breastfeeding books...I did all the suggestions...but my son just was a horrible nurser...so I tried pumping. Even bought a medela. Horrible!! I ended up putting him on formula...and WOW!!! He was happy! No more crying all night...He's now 5 and rarely has ear infections...and is hardly ever at the dr. My daughter, whom I breastfed for 8 months...is at the doctors office for ear infections with every cold she gets!
    kscalhoun

Answer by kscalhoun at 9:09 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• There is nothing wrong with doing both.
    thalassa

Answer by thalassa at 9:17 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I tried doing both before I had to return to work, but it backfired on me. In less than 2 weeks my supply had dried up. Once I started giving the bottle, my son did not want to work hard enough to nurse and would never empty my supply. I tried pumping, but never got as much as my son would need. Eventually, it dried completely up. I think its great that you are still trying to breastfeed, just be prepared for the road ahead.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 9:25 PM on Oct. 11, 2008

• I did both starting at around 7-8 months. We still nurse a couple of times a day and he's 14 months. It worked out great. Just do what's best for you and baby :)
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 10:51 PM on Oct. 11, 2008