Heartburn

Any home remedies that work for heartburn? I Have acid reflux and I hate eating the chalky chewable name brand remedy. Also tried the liquid... makes me gag. Too thick.

Ameliamomo2

Asked by Ameliamomo2 at 2:55 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• zantac is a miracle little pill that you swallow and bye bye heartburn. i lived off them when i was pregnant....home remedies are gum (takes it away almost instantly), milk takes a little time to work
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 2:57 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I had rx strength Zantac and it was pointless. I never found a cure. I would lay awake upright in bed. it was really horrible! Heartburn is by far the worst thing (for me) being pregnant. Try to prevent it. Skip caffeine, spicy food and big meals. Try to just nibble all day. Also fruit juice can cause it. O.J is especially bad.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you have to get your stomach to empty faster. now I have two boy with Gtubes so I have to check for residual before the next feeding....I can get the stomach to "dump" the last meal with 8 oz of water if it isn't moving. Now med's I can get to empty out fast with flood of water 8 oz...they wash out the stomach whole.

Another way is position..lying on your side with your left side up and right side down...puts the stomach to empty down and gravity will help dump the stomach....I can feel it when I take my vits at night, in mins if your are empty with just water for the "wash"...

getting air out really helps too..the burps and a "flabby sphincter" splash acid up...gas X (simethicone) I really like for gas~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 3:07 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Papaya Capsules sold at health food stores Fresh papaya works also but not as well
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 3:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank you! I will try em out ladies.
    Ameliamomo2

Comment by Ameliamomo2 (original poster) at 3:31 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• ask ur dr about nexium that purple pill
    chriskris

Answer by chriskris at 3:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I use honey ~ plain old honey. A teaspoon gets rid of the heartburn and it stays gone.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I always use whole milk.. for some reason it helps.
    Lisa.Price

Answer by Lisa.Price at 7:33 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I use whole millk....I get heartburn like it's going out of style and i have for years....Milk always help for at least a little while. if it's really bad I take a prevacid but milk will give you some immediate relief.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 7:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thank you all for your comments. I never tried milk but it makes absolute sense because the main ingredient in most acid reducers is Calcium! I feel silly but I will try to drink more milk. Honey sounds delicious too! I had a prescription for Prevacid and it never helped me but I could try those others. Thanks again!
    Ameliamomo2

Comment by Ameliamomo2 (original poster) at 5:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010