Why can I never sleep at night?

Seriously, I will be SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO sleepy allll day long, once the sun sets and my children are in bed, its like im wide awake and can never fall asleep at a decent hour. I have tried EVERYTHING to start sleeping normal and nothing has helped. Well nothing shor of like cymbalta, but eff no am i going to take cymbalta or ambian when you hear the side effects! Scary! Anyone else deal with this?!

anikahaynes1

Asked by anikahaynes1 at 3:14 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Health

• I had this problem when i was single and worked weird shifts all the time and I used the tylenol brand " simply sleep" just like their tylenol pm but without the pain medicine. It's non-habit forming. I only took it 2 or 3 days to get back to my "normal" sleep schedule. And a plus is that it didn't put me in too deep of a sleep that I could wake up if the phone rang.
    Ameliamomo2

Answer by Ameliamomo2 at 3:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• my doc actually suggested benadryl. i've battled insomnia for years and tried countless remedies. really the benadryl actually works. it knocks me out for a full 8 or 9 hours. safe and over the counter
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 3:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You have your days and nights mixed up dear. Even if you can't sleep at night, lie there in bed and close your eyes and try. don't drink any caffeine either during the day. Try light exercise before bed and/or reading in bed.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• both my sisters swear by a product called melotinen (sp) good luck!
    mommy06and09

Answer by mommy06and09 at 3:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you could buy those cd's with the sounds of nature and play them in your bed room. some of them sounds like the ocean,birds in the forest, a waterfall etc. they are really soothing.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 4:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Advil PM works pretty well. I go with cycles in my sleep and hate it when I have insomnia. I can't take Ambien or Lunesta, they have really weird side effects on me. But my Dr did give me something called Clonidine, it's not addictive and really does help me sleep and I don't have that hangover affect the next day. You might ask your Dr about it.
    SophiaofLight

Answer by SophiaofLight at 4:23 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• For like 2 weeks i had cut out caffeine and was exercising after dinner, around 7pm, and i would still be up till all hours of the night. it is very frustrating. I will have to try benadryl, thanks! :) Thanks to you too momma! I can try again going to bed at normal times and see if that helps but who knows.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:20 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Thanksmommy0809, we have some, actually to give to our dd sometimes, i took one once and i felt sleepy, but i also felt weird at the same time, my heart was beating so slow i seriously thought it was going to stop!!! So i haven't given it to my dd (4) either since then. scary! Im not trying to discredit you either, just saying my experiance is all.
    anikahaynes1

Comment by anikahaynes1 (original poster) at 3:25 AM on Sep. 1, 2010