What makes the Bible stories real and stories in all other books fictional?

None of us know for certain the Bible is 100%, we weren't there.

People tend to say something is real cuz its written in the Bible.... even if it sounds farfetched or has no grounding or hardcore evidence to support it, yet similar tales told in any other fantasy or scifi novel are easily accepted as pure entertainment and imaginary.

What makes "Its in the Bible" all ya have to say? Do you have to be thoroughly entrenched in your faith or a bit brainwashed, stubborn, closeminded or something...no offense btw, I just don't understand how some words in a book thats been translated many times over 20 centuries and has been picked apart so many different ways is considered anymore credible than any other book of stories you'd find at a bookstore or library.

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• It's because Christianity is the last religion that went on a killing spree. They did like every other religion and went around killing non believers until they were in the majority. There just hasn't been another religion to come around yet and challenge them...and I dunno if one would now seeing how we are more civilized. That is the only difference between Christianity and the other religions of the world.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I do not believe that the Bible is any more real.. Or any more fictional.. Than any other "Holy Book".. Be that : the Koran, The Gita, The Vedas, The Upanishads, The Torah, The Guru Granth Sahib, The Ramayana, etc..ect.

All have their value.. All have things to offer. What matters is the person reading them and what they choose to take from them. But all are equal in their value, their relevance, and whether or not they are fiction or not.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:54 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Not all of us hold the bible as being the infallible word of God, lol. Not all of us insist on literalism or claim that its absolute or that it represents actual historical fact. Sure, I believe there is some historical truth to it, but I believe most of it needs to be read with an outside understanding of the history of the time. Its meant to be a work of Mythos, to point to a truth too large for words or literal events to contain. Its the truth behind the words, IMO, that matters, not the literalism of the words on the page.

As a reverend says, its what the Bible says, not just what it reads. In order to see what the text actually says, we have to look deeper than what it reads, if that makes sense. And I do believe that comparing it with other sources is important.

I also believe the bible is merely a way for man to share his understanding of God, the way he relates to and understands God and faith. Its only a glimpse...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:02 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• missionarywifey ... You know very well that phrase means 'something that is popular right now- a FAD' and that's exaclty what your beliefs are whether you agree or not. You don't think the ancients had just as much faith that their gods were real and that their religions would last for eternity? Same thing applies here. If you think the biblical religion is the oldest and the only one to have existed for thousands of years, you need to take your butt to the nearest college and enroll in an ancient civilization/religion class pronto.

Also, saying you believe god is real because he said so is like me saying I am the Queen of England because I said so- it doesn't make it true and it sounds ridiculous.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I also believer that the Bible or any other religious book is fiction. It was written by men who wanted to teach or advise or inflict their own rules upon the people who lived in their times. Most of the stories and the "rules" don't make sense in modern day.....but the advice and the standards of living are valuable. They set out to create morals and the Ten Commandments...it is good to live by rules ,IF they make sense. But I prefer the Golden Rule.
    I believe in God but I think Jesus was a merely wise man , not a son of God or any God. I believe that his memory was sustained and exaggerated by his followers. It is interesting but just a story. I also don't believe that there were only two people on earth ...Adam and Eve...and that they created the rest of the human population on earth. WOw, when you think about it, that would mean that Adam and Eve's children were procreating. NO. Obviously, I say the Bible was fiction
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• All I can go off of is my opinion.. For me, its because it's so old, and so many people believe in it. I guess it boils down to a matter of faith.. Also, if you live your life based on the guidelines from the bible, you'll end up happier and more hopeful. You won't get in as much trouble, and for the most part become a better person.
    stenhouse_baby

Answer by stenhouse_baby at 6:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The Biblical religions are simply the 'flavor of the week', and will one day be nothing but mythology just like other religions of old. I think that humanity has progressed so much though technology and science that maybe another religion/mythology will not replace- one can only hope!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• THe bible is a manipulated book used to control the minds of the convinced, with the fear of a God who knows everything we dont. Everyone knows God helped mankind write a book! I just want to know why he decided thats all ppl needed to know. I mean if you are going to instruct the making of a book, why not include important facts about the world; like How deep is the ocean? Where/ when did trees originate?Why do Ancient Egyptians have pictures of domesticated dinosaurs?What is the earths core like? Why did he STOP instructing ppl/prophets to continue writting?

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 10:41 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• We can't prove there's no hidden magical places non-magic people aren't allowed to see or know about.

True-but in your example we know its not true because the author says it is not. And as far as hidden magical places-yes, they are possible-just as possible that heaven is one of those and people who do not believe in it will never see it. We know Harry Potter to be fiction because its creator says so.. get it?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 4:49 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Rowling could have just as easily claimed it was true, as well, but in contrast to the Bible authors, she'd likely not have been believed as easily.

But she did not- if she did than it would be up to others to disprove her and honestly- people way more intelligent than yourself have not been able to to disprove the Bible. People that believe in Christianity think on a different plane that those that do not- not a better or worse, just different. Many people believe in magic (not the kind on TV) it could be real who knows-it could be just another way of looking at what some call God's work. In the end, you can post question after question after question and you will not change what others consider to be their truth-better people than you have tried and have all failed. Christianity and many other beliefs are alive and well-thriving as a matter of fact-bringing comfort, hope and love to those that believe CONT..
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:12 PM on Sep. 1, 2010