What happened to the millions of ancient peoples before Christianity?

did they die into nothingness?
go to a Hell no one knew about yet?
did they die well according to their personal beliefs and go to wherever their pagan religions said they would go?

If that last one is it, then the Pagan religions must also be true, wouldn't they? If a Viking went to Valhalla, wouldn't Valhalla still exist? or the Ellysian Fields and Hades? They wouldn't just disappear.

What happened to the immortal soul before Christianity, there were millions of people and dozens of advanced empires and nations prior to Christ who thought they were doing the right thing, as well... just like we do today.

What makes us righter than them? (besides the Bible say so...)

Zoeyis

Asked by Zoeyis at 6:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• The question you are asking is actually only relevant to being Christian. As a Pagan, we wouldn't question it because we do exist just as our ancestors in the past. I think that people forget history. Christianity takes over the Roman Empire, and yet in lands of Britian, they didn't accept it until a few centuries later. In 468ad most of Britian still worshiped as Pagans, that is why you see Pagan symbolism in churches there.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 6:49 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• NannyB- the Jewish religion and their God was not around since the beginningof time- as archaeological and historical evidence will tell you, so explain to me how those people would have been given the same opportunity to believe if those beliefs didn't exist yet?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 8:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Zoey, I guess the explanation could be as simple as. ...... History is only written by the winner...

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 9:47 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• missionarywifey... she is saying that the biblical story of creation is not the oldest and if it was the TRUE story (as well as all the other stories in the bible) then they would have appeared FIRST- which they did not. There is evidence of other, more ancient stores and myths- ones that PRE-DATE the Hebrew ones- therefore, you saying all the proof you need is in the bible makes no sense- the truth should BE in the very first editions of the myths- not the stolen and embellished ones presented in the bible.

If your God was the one true and only god, then he would have been the first to appear and to be written about and worshipped and he wasn't- the idea of the Judaic god appeared well after the gods of the Sumerians, Babylonians, Egyptians and so on.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Sure, because that is what the Vikings believed.... I realize where this question comes from, but it is like one of those trick questions you used to ask as a kid. The answers are only relevant to individuals in regards to their own belief system, so one person can say that Valhalla doesn't exist and other can say it does and they would both be right. If I were to ask my son who is five, he would tell you that Valhalla was once said to exist at the Frosty Freezy Freeze (Fanboy and ChumChum) LOL.... but was found to be in the sky!

WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 7:15 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• did the Vikings really go to Valhalla?

Well, no, most of us go to Hel, and some also go to Folksvangr. One does not just walk into Valhalla.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:43 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• WoodWitch beat me to it... Questions like this are only relevant if you are Christian AND believe that people go to Heaven. For those who don't believe that way, it just is a no point question. For someone like myself, I prefer to look at the similarities between belief systems than the differences. If you look, the vast majority of ancient religions as well as Christianity and Islam tend to have very similar beliefs, they simply give them different names.

For example: In Ancient Greece it was believed that when you died you went in to the underworld which consisted of three areas. The Elysian Fields was where the Heros and Blessed went (similar to Heaven). The Asphodel Meadows was where the average person went, those who weren't blessed but weren't bad either (Purgatory). And Tartarus, for the damned (Hell).
    So have things really changed? Or did we just re-title them?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• " so one person can say that Valhalla doesn't exist and other can say it does and they would both be right."

I think that is the point of the question, isn't it? People will indeed say Valhalla doesn't exist, only God in heaven....but they would be both right and WRONG. They cannot say without any more certainty than the Vikings could that what they believed existed. It's all about personal faith in what you believe in.....nothing more.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:38 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• The teachings of Ancient societies are still alive today. Pple such as myself still practice and believe in the sacred teachings of universal love, vibratory/aura/chakra cause and effects, magick, astral projection and so on. We (along with the ancient beliefs) are demonized for not following organized religion. Ppl in ancient times understood the power of thought - mind over matter, and knew that thought can manifest into reality. They were supreme beings, and much more intelligent and knowledgeable about the ka and afterlife. Im sure those who believed in any hell, was there already before dying physically. Back then ppl were in the business of governing themselves. The real concern should be about the conditions of today's ppl. The major religion, now, wears a mask of multiple identities - and most of it comes with hate led by fear.

sugahmamma

Answer by sugahmamma at 9:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Zoey, I guess the explanation could be as simple as. ...... History is only written by the winner... Well said, Woodwitch!

As for the OP's questions...well, they are good. I don't know the answers to these things, but I can share my opinion. I believe that the specified terms are not nearly as important as the intent of one's heart. For example, I am Christian, and I know that there are loads of "names" for God in the Bible. I also accept the fact that the Bible has been interpreted hundreds, possibly thousands, of time and in that process is likely to have changed at least slightly. So, maybe the Vikings went to Heaven based on the words they choose for that. I don't know. In all honesty, I don't see as much importance in finding out where the Vikings went as to know where I'm going. It may sound selfish, but ultimatly we are not in control of anyone but ourselves.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2010