there is a attached parenting group followed by cloth diaper 101, i am not attachment parenting or breastfeeding, i AM cloth diapering. i want to go to cloth 101 to learn more, but i am afraid i will be judged or looked down at...?

what would you do? i know the place it is at is very natural and into attachment parenting and breastfeeding and only using green etc. but it is the ONLY cloth diaper group/class around. i want to go, but i am quiet and afraid i will be judged. i did try breastfeeding and i dont want to get into it - it just wasn't right for me....its been hard...but baby and i are happy now. :) and his booty will be too if i can figure out these cloth diapers i have been using. any advice on how to handle moms with different views??? should i just not go???

Tiffany8168

Asked by Tiffany8168 at 7:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• F-them. It's your child, and mom knows best. Period.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:30 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• you should go!!!! even if they did judge you its not like your going to see them after the class and if the class helps you help baby then go for it!! If it's whats best for your child then it's worth it to go!!!!! good luck and stay strong!!!
    Nienna7477

Answer by Nienna7477 at 7:34 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Goodness, use the "It is environmentally friendly" approach with those moms who "look down" on cloth diapers. I used clothed for both my boys. The ONLY time there was a diaper rash was the first day of a new babysitter. I told her he was using cloth, not disposables. Needless to say, when I picked him up he was sopping wet. She did not change him all day (and even with a disposable, all day would have caused that problem too). I fired her and found someone who did not mind doing cloth. Also, at the time (it has been 20 years ago), I had some disposable liners that I could put on the diaper that helped with other body functions.

Yes, GO. It is a great way to meet other moms who share the same values as you do! It does not hurt to try! If it doesn't work out and you stay with disposables, then you know you gave it a chance and are more understanding toward those who use cloth.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 7:37 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• they saved me some money! i say go for it. all three of mine were in cloth.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:01 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Why care so much about what other people on the internet think or say? They are like faceless anons....not like your mil screaming in your face.

Dont be so sensitive. If you are sure about your decisions then no ones opinion should matter at all.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Just don't talk about what you don't want to talk about.

Keep in mind that, for example, if you go to a vegetarian/vegan cooking group to learn how to cook better and healhier, don't expect to be praised for eating chicken or get upset if they talk about meat-eating negatively. At the same time, don't go in thinking everyone is out to get you.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 9:40 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• You aren't going to fit in. Your feelings are going to be hurt. You are going to be outnumbered. You will be judged. Everywhere else in the world supports bottle feeding and unattached parenting. These moms will feel it is their special place.

You can find out about cloth diapers by reading. It's not rocket science. There is a lot of info at Mothering Magazine and the magazine's discussion boards.

http://www.mothering.com/

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:27 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Honestly... and I'm just being honest here. I'm in a playgroup that is very "crunchy"... it's not on purpose, it just happened that way. We got a new member earlier this year and the first time I met her she was holding a bottle up to her 4 month olds mouth while he sat strapped into his bucket seat. I hate to admit it, but I was really, really turned off. Everyone else liked her and she became really good friends with several moms... but I just had that immediate reaction to her. Eventually we became friends and our husbands became really good friends. I don't think she ever knew that I disliked her at first.

So lesson is... most moms don't care. The ones that do will probably hide it and then get over it once they know you better. Really, it wasn't the formula for me, it was the fact that she never held him to feed him. I know in cloth diaper groups online no one cares. Just go, if you hate it, don't go back
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:04 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Oh, and especially when you are coming to learn something new, I'm sure everyone will be really open and friendly.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 11:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2010