Need help potty training

We have been working on potty training our almost 3 yr old for a few months now. He was telling me everythime he had to go poop but then as soon as he stayed the night at his grandparents house it seemed like that all stopped even i explained to them that i was working on potty training him. He wont tell me when he has to go poop anymore. Before I change his diaper i have him sit on the potty and try to go pee or poop some of the time he does. I've tried just putting regular undies on him like alot of people have suggested but he doesnt seem to care when he pees threw them. I'm not going to waist my money on pullups since they are just like diapers. i feel like i am never going to get him potty trained. I have even tried bribing him with m&m's or stickers.

malibu79

Asked by malibu79 at 8:10 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Don't ask him if he needs go or wait for him to tell you. Put him in underwear and take him and have him try every 15 minutes until it becomes routine and he has no more accidents, then, you can move it to every 30 minutes and repeat. Keep doing it and upping it until you no longer have to take him...he will run on his own.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• It took us a while to get DS potty trained. We started off with big boy underwear but that didn't work so we had to go to pull ups. I used to take him every 20 mins whether he said he had to go or not, especially after he ate or had a big drink. Then eventually I would stretch it out by 10 mins until he was making it to an hour or longer. He used to get stickers and m&m's too, which luckily for us worked. Eventually I was just using pull ups at night just in case and then we did need them at all. Consistency and praise, really making a big deal out of what aa great job he did also helped. Before I knew it he was telling me all on his own he had to go. Also, reminding him if he is watching something or is playing is helpful because they get into what they are doing that sometimes they forget. Good luck to you.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 8:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• i had the same problem. i moved in with my sister and suddenly my youngest was back in daipers. just hang in there. my oldest all i had to was tell her that she couldn't go to school. a week later she was trained. you could also put him on the toilet at bathtime. with all the running water, that might help. reading books helped too. but i also called my girls big kids. it made them feel better. good luck. i hope this info helped.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:22 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I let my DD lead the way. She will be 3 in Nov and today was the first time I brought her out in undies! She did not have a ccident and I praised her did not BUY anything extra just a high five and praise. The big thing is we tell everyone like family you know when it's new like when she went all by herself we called my mom and she got so happy. I made a big deal out of the firsts and every time after that I say good job or something. I think you should let him go on his own and in his own time. I promise he will not be going to kindergarden in a pullup.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I have noticed that boys are not as bothered by soiled underpants, so this is not really unusual from my experience.

Chances are good you are giving him too much power here; remove the choice, be a bit stricter and concise: "pee and poop go in the toilet." Period.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:23 AM on Sep. 2, 2010