is anyone else's child around ten months old and won't be held by anyone but you and their father?

My daughter is having seapartion axiety and will only be held by me or my husband. Someone else will try to hold her and she automatically cries but she will be fine with them if they are near me as long as I am holding her. I'm getting super nervous since she starts daycare next week (I'm back to nursing school). Is anyone else's child like this and were you in a similar situation?

samantha21385

Asked by samantha21385 at 8:12 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's o.k. totally normal, I remember all of mine doing it.Some times it was I want mommy (only) and other days it was ( I want daddy only)..they love their parents.
    Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 8:16 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• yep, my youngest was like that, she didn't want any part of any one that walked in the door. its gunna be hard at first, but when she reliezes you'll be back, (that can take about a week to a month depending on the kid) she'll be fine. i know it's gunna break your heart, is there anyway to start the classes early? you know going in there with her and just sitting and watching? get her used to the other kids? that was the ticket for me, my kids don't like grown-ups but they get along with kids. i wish you the best of luck.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• That is just that age. Put on your brave face and she will be just fine. The bigger a deal you make of it the rougher a time you will both have.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 8:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• I'm going in with her on Friday for a couple hours just to try to get a head start with her.
    samantha21385

Comment by samantha21385 (original poster) at 8:28 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• This is normal but it's not separation anxiety when a baby only wants to be held by mom or dad. Separtation anxiety is extreme distress when the primary caregiver is gone. The baby does not know that the caregiver will return and to them the caregiver is gone forever (dead). It happens every day. Parents think babies get used to moms leaving. Psychologists think babies give up psychologically.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 10:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Yep, my DD was like that. Of course she has to learn that mommy and daddy can't always be there. As hard as it might be, you have to just let her cry about it. Let someone else hold her or watch her while you go do something. And then come back and get her. It will show her that you're not leaving her permanently. If you don't show her this now, you will have a hard time when she gets older. Good luck.
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 10:39 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• My daughter is like that. Only myself or my husband can hold her. If neither of us are around, she does much better. A little fussy, but much better than when she can see or hear us.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 4:37 PM on Sep. 1, 2010