what age should a child stop putting thier hands in their pants??

I watch this 3 year old and he always comes with his hands in his pants and time his parents come he puts his hands back in his pants and everytime I ever see him out with his family he just keeps his hands in there never taking it out EVER. at what age should they stop doing this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• are they inside his pants or diaper/underwear? for pants i would say by 4, for diaper/underwear i would try to stop that as soon as the habit started.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 10:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well, I would say around potty trained age and some kids advance quicker then others, I also have a 4 yr old that his dad told him (Its yours you can play with it if you want to. That was cute at age 2, My greatest fear in that he will did it in public
    Winerygirl

Answer by Winerygirl at 2:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• Well my husband is 34 and he still hasn't outgrown it. But 4 is plenty old to learn not to do that in front of other people.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 3:59 PM on Sep. 1, 2010

• lol riotgrrl, I was going to say most boys don;'t outgrow it!
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 2:19 AM on Sep. 2, 2010

• By age 5...and even then, it could still continue. Most likely this is his way of self soothing...he will need to be shown other ways.
    Radarma

Answer by Radarma at 11:21 AM on Sep. 2, 2010